PDA

View Full Version : Lamotrigine trial

Jacsta
10-02-15, 19:02
Hi there

As some of you may know, I was recently in hospital (for the second time) due to my emotionally unstable (borderline) personality disorder.
I am slightly more stable since discharge and am waiting for a nurse led clinic to help me with coping strategies and then on a longer waiting list for intense therapy.

The CPN visited me today for my follow-up and approached me with a trial that is being conducted for the use of lamotrigine in patients with personality disorder.

She rightly explained that there is currently no definitive drug approach to assist in symptom control but this could change that.

Obviously I am not bound to start this medication, but it is an option to take part in a years trial (I may be given a placebo anyway!). I am trying to decide whether I want to add another medication to my current rattling body...(I am already on venlafaxine, pregablin and quietiapine)

I want to feel better, and I also wouldn't wish the emotional pain I have experienced over this last 6months or so on anyone...so I think I'm heading toward the "yes" answer....but just wondered if any of you guys have been on it or know anyone that has?....any experience and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

O yes, I meant to say as well that this medication is a mood stabiliser already licenced for use in people with bipolar....mainly to help with the depressed phase...which kind of matches the mood I tend to be in.

MrAndy
10-02-15, 20:41
From what I've read about it it is a very good bipolar drug,surely they would take you off quetiapine if you went on it
Crazy meds give a good unbiased overview on it,I really trust their reviews http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Lamictal

Jacsta
10-02-15, 21:42
Apparently I'm on a low enough dose of quietiapine so they might not....the cpn said they would have to check....and it might actually stop me being eligible (if that's the case why the hell did she ask me in the first place ?!)

Thanks for the link Andy....I have done a bit of reading myself, and I think I am going to say yes if I'm eligible....I think the potential benefits outweigh the cons...

MrAndy
11-02-15, 09:12
quetiapine is the mood stabiliser they always reach for when your admitted to the pysch ward,its relatively cheap compared to other drugs and doesnt have many side effects
I was put on it when i was in both times,in fact most people were on it in the ward.I cant see the point of you being on two mood stabilsers thats all,it would seem a bit excessive
The review on crazy meds seems good and like I have said I really trust what they have to say about meds on there.What dose of quetiapine are you on,it only works as an antipyschotic above around 150mg ,lower than that and it really only helps you sleep
Let us know what route they take and how you get on,keep fighting

Jacsta
11-02-15, 12:02
I started quietiapine before the second admission, I'm on 50mg at night....as you said it is to help shut my brain down at night and help me sleep....essentially it has resolved (pretty much) my insomnia. I'm not sure they would take me off it for the trial as i may be given a placebo

MrAndy
11-02-15, 12:05
I started quietiapine before the second admission, I'm on 50mg at night....as you said it is to help shut my brain down at night and help me sleep....essentially it has resolved (pretty much) my insomnia. I'm not sure they would take me off it for the trial as i may be given a placebo
not knowing your on placebo or not will be hard to get your head around
I was also on 50mg but they put it up to 125mg as I still couldnt sleep,its a great drug for sleep it really knocks you out :)
How are you feeling today ?

rooby
11-02-15, 12:31
I have been on lamotrigine for about a year for bipolar 2 mainly depressive. It has been great no side effects and I haven't lapsed into a deep depression at all while being on it. I also take small dose zyprexa at night. You can always try it

Jacsta
14-02-15, 17:47
Yea, I'm going to talk in more details with the CPN about it, but GP still refuses to let me go back to work so I may as well give it a whirl.

SarahH
14-02-15, 19:37
Good luck jacsta:)

MyNameIsTerry
14-02-15, 21:54
Your GP can't legally stop you Jacsta. They can only recommend and provide a FIT note to keep you off but the regs were changed years ago so employers can accept an employee waiving their FIT note at the point of return to work.

Years ago they had to have a GP sign us back on and they would send people home but not anymore.

The question is whether it is right to return to work. If you return to early it can have a very negative effect.

Also, whilst work can be a distraction, it can become avoidance if you bury yourself in it and don't keep working on your issues. I did this and I became even more obsessive, didn't face some of my other fears and just limited myself so I set the ground for a relapse there.

Jacsta
14-02-15, 22:00
I work for the nhs, they won't let me back unless the GP and psych lot say I'm ready.

I'm probably not ready, I'm just getting frustrated of twiddling my thumbs and waiting for things, I'm used to being able to pick myself up and getting on with it...

....also work are scared to let me back unstable as I have taken overdoses....they can't exactly give me keys to lots of wonderful drugs if all I can think about is...how wonderful they are...

MyNameIsTerry
15-02-15, 05:02
Ah, its a bit different in those kind of jobs for obvious reasons.

I really think you have to think about why you want to return. I know you are worried about the time you have had off and your job but thats all negative pressure. If you return due to pressure and are not ready, it can be detrimental. There is no reason why work can't be used as part of recovery but its a difficult one as many employers don't give a toss and the advice my GP gave was to stay off until they would agree to discuss reasonable adjustments, which they weren't for a long time, so it was over a year before they would even have that type of discussion.

As a former manager myself, I would be concerned about someone going through your recent experiences and coming back fairly soon after as it would seem like a long term recovery thing to me, but thats just how I would think.

I'm sure they can restrict your access Jacsta or else anyone in there would surely be able to gain access whether patient or unauthorised employee.

Jacsta
15-02-15, 17:37
I know I know....I'm probably not ready to go back to work....I'm just frustrated at how slow I am at the recovery malarkey

Jacsta
24-02-15, 20:49
I've decided to take part in the trial so hopefully i can keep a log on here (i may need to check im allowed lol) .... the people are coming on thursday for the first interview....apparently they need to make sure i am definately suffering from emotionally unstable personality disorder....lets bloomijg wel hope so as i have spent the past 5 months getting my head around my diagnosis!

Jacsta
26-02-15, 16:46
So, I had the first interview for the trial today.....2 hours of questioning about my thoughts, behaviours, feelings, and physical health. Scoring system after scoring system....Remembering what has happened over the last 6 months, Brain dead is an understatement!

I am starting the medication next week....here goes nothing...

MrAndy
26-02-15, 16:51
I really hope it works out for you Jacsta ,fingers crossed
keep us updated

Moley
26-02-15, 16:54
good luck jacs I hope that it goes well for u.

MrAndy
02-03-15, 09:56
hows things working out Jacsta ,have you started the meds yet ?

Jacsta
02-03-15, 10:30
Starting the meds this week sometime....i am awaiting the phonecall. Nothing to report yet.....other than the fact that i realllllllly hope i dont get the placebo.....i could do with my mood being stabilised...

MrAndy
02-03-15, 11:31
good luck,hope you start feeling better very soon

MrAndy
25-03-15, 08:42
how you getting on jacsta ?