PDA

View Full Version : I hate it!

BikerMatt
10-02-15, 19:07
My anxiety is raging and all I could do all day is lay in bed quietly. I've just got up to have a fag and get the laptop and now back laying in bed. I've avoided my nearly two year old little boy all day as he is noisy and into everything and I feel so guilty for doing so. I'm anxious about absolutely everything and it's a nightmare!!!

MrAndy
10-02-15, 20:37
You getting any support or counselling matt ?

BikerMatt
10-02-15, 20:50
You getting any support or counselling matt ?

Hi Andy, I was informed today that I've referred to be assessed by a primary care mental health practitioner along with a cbt therapist to make a decision on the best treatment. Don't no how long that will take though.

MrAndy
10-02-15, 20:52
At least they are doing something for you,get on the phone and harass them if you don't hear anything

BikerMatt
10-02-15, 21:08
At least they are doing something for you,get on the phone and harass them if you don't hear anything

Will do. I had my local mental health people phone appointment Friday which I had to wait 3 weeks for and I contacted them today to find out what was happening.

Annie0904
10-02-15, 22:23
I remember feeling just the same a couple of years ago but therapy has helped me. Don't focus on what you are not doing focus on every little achievement however small. Try to get out for a walk in the fresh air as that helps a lot.

BikerMatt
11-02-15, 00:02
I remember feeling just the same a couple of years ago but therapy has helped me. Don't focus on what you are not doing focus on every little achievement however small. Try to get out for a walk in the fresh air as that helps a lot.

Thanks Annie it's just so difficult to do anything when I'm gripped with severe anxiety :wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-15, 04:59
Its horrible when its at that stage, I remember it well.

This time a couple of years ago I was just the same Matt. I couldn't do anything or go anywhere. Even having a shower or watching TV was making me anxious, its just that it was non stop so any level of sensation just made it worse.

It was a terrible time but...I'm in a much better place now albeit still needing lots of work, So, if I can escape it (someone who thought they would spend every day with endless compulsions and physical symptoms) then so you can you mate!

It can help to get out and walk. At first it might not seem it as going out brings anxiety for many of us but that gets easier and it starts to help to burn off some of the adrenaline. I find movement takes away a lot of the internal 'buzzing'.

Definately do some relaxation techniques. I tried these first before moving onto Mindfulness meditation and I found they did help a little, but sometimes these things can take a while before we really notice them.

Annie0904
11-02-15, 08:06
I don't mean to go for a long walk or anything. If I could make myself walk 4 houses along and back I felt I had at least done something positive and as hard as it was to get out and do it I felt so much better for doing it. It really is a hard place to be but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

BikerMatt
11-02-15, 21:04
Its horrible when its at that stage, I remember it well.

This time a couple of years ago I was just the same Matt. I couldn't do anything or go anywhere. Even having a shower or watching TV was making me anxious, its just that it was non stop so any level of sensation just made it worse.

It was a terrible time but...I'm in a much better place now albeit still needing lots of work, So, if I can escape it (someone who thought they would spend every day with endless compulsions and physical symptoms) then so you can you mate!

It can help to get out and walk. At first it might not seem it as going out brings anxiety for many of us but that gets easier and it starts to help to burn off some of the adrenaline. I find movement takes away a lot of the internal 'buzzing'.

Definately do some relaxation techniques. I tried these first before moving onto Mindfulness meditation and I found they did help a little, but sometimes these things can take a while before we really notice them.

I don't mean to go for a long walk or anything. If I could make myself walk 4 houses along and back I felt I had at least done something positive and as hard as it was to get out and do it I felt so much better for doing it. It really is a hard place to be but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Terry & Annie, I've been here lots of times before and as you both know it never gets any easier:mad: I hope my referral to see the primary care mental health practitioner (what ever that is) isn't to long. Terry I've looked at relaxation techniques etc but find things hard to take in:blush: I went out today to pick my little boy up from my parents so that was better than yesterday anyway. If you don't mind me asking do you both take meds?

Annie0904
11-02-15, 21:15
I have taken dosulepin for 12 years now but trying to come off them. I am down from 125 mg to 25 mg I used to also take Clordiazipoxide and beta blockers so as you can see I am doing lot better :)

BikerMatt
11-02-15, 21:19
I have taken dosulepin for 12 years now but trying to come off them. I am down from 125 mg to 25 mg I used to also take Clordiazipoxide and beta blockers so as you can see I am doing lot better :)

Wow that's great Annie :D almost med free:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-15, 22:19
I was the same Matt. Relaxation techniques took me a while before they helped but I think it just means it takes a while for them to start working against very high anxiety. You feel them to be more effective when your anxiety is decreased so they are not all they are sold to be in that they are not an instant fix.

I'm on Duloxetine now, Citalopram before I tapered off and relapsed 6 months later.

I recommend medication in general but I can't recommend from experience as I'm not convinced how successful they have been for me as the anxiety never goes and if was still pretty bad for a while afterwards so I can't say for sure whether that was due to my own work or both, I just more I couldn't seem to stop the relapse coming...but I didn't know much back then so bad no techniques to apply to even try as my first recovery was very much alone with GP support, no real information, no access to therapy or support and I just got myself or walking daily.

BikerMatt
27-02-15, 20:37
I was the same Matt. Relaxation techniques took me a while before they helped but I think it just means it takes a while for them to start working against very high anxiety. You feel them to be more effective when your anxiety is decreased so they are not all they are sold to be in that they are not an instant fix.

I'm on Duloxetine now, Citalopram before I tapered off and relapsed 6 months later.

I recommend medication in general but I can't recommend from experience as I'm not convinced how successful they have been for me as the anxiety never goes and if was still pretty bad for a while afterwards so I can't say for sure whether that was due to my own work or both, I just more I couldn't seem to stop the relapse coming...but I didn't know much back then so bad no techniques to apply to even try as my first recovery was very much alone with GP support, no real information, no access to therapy or support and I just got myself or walking daily.

Terry, sorry I didn't notice your reply until now thanks. Do you have any pointers or good links on mindfulness, relaxation techniques please.

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-15, 07:28
Hi Matt,

Sorry I only just noticed your request.

Professor Mark Williams who co created MBCT based on the earlier form, MBSR, is good. He has a website called Frantic World and in the resource section you can find free downloads of the audio exercises that come with the book of the same name. There are a couple more in the book that you try before these and further goal based exercises.

Jon Kabat-Zinn's MBSR downloads are chargeable I believe but I've never tried his work...but he did start the whole movement.

Some people on here have used the Headspace app which they said was good and its free for 10 days.

I think its easiest to use an audio to guide you as you need to be immersed in it and its hard to do that when you read them. Its worth reading about Mindfulness too thought as its explains a lot about our thought processes. Mark Williams book is excellent for this.

Another interesting new book is by Michael Chaskalson for a fiver and it takes elements from both MBCT & MBSR.

Some people find bodyscanning useful.

Look up Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) which is an old technique from the 1920's but therapists still use it today because its quick & easy to learn and helps with tension as you learn to tense/untense your muscles.

Visualisation can be useful. I did these before my CBT and found that they could often help me until it became unbearable. There should be some of these on YouTube and there are apps you can download too.