PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about son

beauty2010
10-02-15, 22:58
Hi
I have posted here before
I have a hyperthyroid condition which has anxiety as one of its symptoms and am currently on my third recurrence
Each time I am ill I tend to focus on things that might be wrong with my kids rather than myself and most of the time I find out through research that I don't need to get a gp referral or anything but I do spend a lot of time worrying and I have taken the kids to the gp with the odd funny mole etc
The kids know I worry when I am ill and it annoys them
This is my third recurrence and I am not that ill with it but a health concern has come up with my 20 year old son and I really don't know if I am over reacting or not as my confidence in my own decision making has bee affected by my illness
I work in the NHS and recently had a patient with Marfans and a young person I know died possibly because he had had marfans and was not diagnosed

Marfans is a connective tissue disorder and associated with a particular body type like that of my middle son who is 19
Over Christmas I checked him for signs of the illness which include certain other bodily characteristics much to his annoyance
I was hoping to reassure myself and that no action would need to be taken
Unfortunately he has two or three of the signs and I checked with Marfans uk and with the genetics department at my local hospital and both said he should have an echocardiogram
I have not told him yet as he is away at uni but I have fixed one up for the Easter break
I just feel so conflicted over it as if the doctor is going to think I am crazy but I have to do the right thing for my son ( if he agrees to go which he may not thinking it is one of mum's crazy ideas). It is very unlikely he has it ( less than 1 in 20 the geneticist said) but it could be life saving to get a diagnosis if he did have it and having these signs makes it more likely he has.
Does anyone else find that once you have got in a spin about health anxiety it is difficult to know what normal is!