PDA

View Full Version : Think I have heart failure please help

chloe1
11-02-15, 16:48
I abused drugs and alcohol a few years ago and now I'm having anxiety and chest pains. I have a numbness over my chest especially the left side. I feel like my breathing is shallow and im very scared. I feel like I can feel my heart failing. I think I'm going to have a heart attack. I'm a 29 year old female. If I went to A & E, would an ECG show up if I had a problem with my heart? Such as enlarged heart or thickening of the arteries. Or just any changes to it physically?

DaisyP
11-02-15, 17:28
Hi Chloe, this could be anxiety BUT i would go to A&E, purely because chest pains shouldn't really be ignored. Is this the first time you've had it? You could always call 111 if you can't get there or are unsure what to do.
An ECG should show up a problem with your heart, if they are concerned they will also take other tests too.

Let us know how you are, ok?

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Ps - i don't want to worry you as i know when someone says 'get it checked out' it makes HA a million times worse but chest pains are something they say you should get checked out :)

chloe1
11-02-15, 17:40
Thanks. I'm feeling a bit better but yeah I've had it before. And I will go and get it checked out. I was worrying that even if I had an ECG, it would come back normal and they would miss that theres something wrong with my heart. To be honest I was so so stupid when i abused drugs and alcohol. It's the one regret of my life. There's no way i could have done what I did without there being some damage. I wish the past was a bad dream but I have to live with what I've done and the fact Ive probably cut my life short now. I have 2 babies very young and I need to go and get this checked out. I will update what the ECG says once I've been. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Thanks for not judging me btw! X

DaisyP
12-02-15, 09:38
Honestly, when it comes to the heart they do every test they need to before they discharge anyone! Definitely go and get it checked out - it couldn't hurt to to put your mind at ease, especially as you have physical symptoms too.

We aren't here to judge anyone - everyone does something in their life which they regret, the main thing is that you are healthy now :) Take care and keep us updated x

chloe1
14-02-15, 21:04
I went to the hospital and had an ECG, it came back normal, My blood pressure was in the normal range and my oxygen levels were 100%. I was so so sure that I was having a heart attack but it just shows what anxiety can do. Since they put my mind at rest the symptoms are not as bad at all. I still have them but they aren't as strong. I would still recommend anyone with those symptoms get checked out but just to put people's mind at rest it can definitely be because of anxiety, not just a heart condition! I have been prescribed diazepam for when a panic attack comes on and I also have citalopram too

DaisyP
14-02-15, 21:06
Pleased you're ok Chloe, hope the meds help x