PDA

View Full Version : New to this..Help please

Trixy40
13-02-15, 10:39
Hi, I'm 40yrs old and have endured depression & anxiety for many years this is mainly due to bad experiences from my childhood and further family problems in the last 6yrs. I have been suffering with irrational thoughts and panic attacks since xmas. I tried to just get on with things i.e Housework, Being a mum and holding down a very stressful job. I was presently taking Amitriptyline 75mg to help with chronic insomnia and also taking Zopiclone which I became more and more dependent on (very high dose) don't ask:weep: I had to sleep to be able to function at work and at home and without them going cold turkey I would literally go for days without sleep so I had to start taking them again. Anyway it got to a point 11 day ago following such depression and anxiety that I took the plunge to see my Gp. He diagnosed me with GAD and prescribed me Mirtazapine 30mg and Propranolol 40mg twice daily. Gp stopped the Amitriptyline. After taking my new meds for 11 days I was starting to feel more positive and even managed to take my dog out for a long walk. I had researched Mirtazapine and had read about possible weight gain but just thought that's fine I will eat sensible and exercise more...OMG I put on 10lbs in 11 days!!! This sent me into a downward spiral as I have confidence issues with my weight already. So yesterday I spoke with my GP who prescribed me Trazodone 50mg to take at night to help with insomnia, anxiety and no side effects of weight gain. I thought YES a light at the end of the tunnel. So I went to bed at 2300 took my Trazodone and NOTHING:weep: I was awake until about 0400 to then give in and had to take my Zopiclone to get a few hours kip. I'm at my wits end. I have to say that yesterday when I went to bed and took my Trazodone I was not really tired as I hadn't done anything apart from troll the internet for answers. So I was wondering if I really tire myself out today(already tired) and try taking my Propranolol with my Trazodone it may just help me sleep. Also I want to stop the Zopiclone as they have become like the devil to me. Not sure if I should gradually cut down. Please any help/advice out there.

crystal17
13-02-15, 11:45
Hi,

Wow that sounds really tough :( I really feel for you. Being a mum, doing housework, working a stressful job - these are all difficult things in themselves to juggle, but you have depression and anxiety too...believe me, I know how hard it is.

All the different meds are inevitably going to have an effect on you too, although medication is fantastic and definitely does help lots of people, I do think it can be hard to cope with, especially at high doses.

One thing you can do is ask your gp to refer you to a psychiatrist for a medication review. It takes about 2 hours and they go through all your current issues, what meds you're on, how it all makes you feel, side effects...and then what other additional help might be good for you.

I had one and found it so helpful and made me feel more in control.

Sending big hugs :hugs:

Trixy40
14-02-15, 10:14
Thank you so much for replying to me with kindness and advice. It sure is a horrid place to be. I'm trying so hard to be positive and keeping myself busy.
I still cant sleep even with the 50mg Trazodone, 80mg Propranolol and Zopiclone. Trying to sleep and worrying that I will be up again all night is stopping me from sleeping. As soon as I lay down my anxiety and nausea kicks in:weep:
I'm seeing my DR next week so I'm hoping he may up my Trazodone as I just want to get off the Zopiclone. I just cant bring myself to tell my DR that I still take Zopiclone as I feel so ashamed. I'm hoping I can gradually decrease the Zopiclone over a period of time. Just at the moment telling my GP would completely destroy me.
Thank you again for being so kind and taking time out to reply it means so much knowing I'm not alone. :hugs: