PDA

View Full Version : changing from mirtazapine to sertraline help!

wareing77
13-02-15, 11:55
Hi!
I'm new here so would just like to say hello first!

I have severe anxiety resulting in quite bad depression. I was given citalopram first which made me crazy so stopped after 2 days, got worse when i stopped so thought i would give it another try.... Lasted 5 days before i gave up as the side effects were so bad. I was then put on amitriptyline which didnt work either so was then put on mirt. 15mg for 12 days then 30mg for just over 6 weeks. The first 4 weeks when.i upped my dose were horrendous and felt so low that i just wanted to end it. I persevered on hoping i would get better, it did get better as far as the depression was concerned but i still have very high anxiety.
Went to see the dr yesterday who told me to completely stop the mirt straight away as it clearly wasnt working then leave 2 days and start the sertraline at 50mg.
Does this sound right to completely stop as ive only been on it a short while? I'm a bit worried about withdrawals and start up effects of the sertraline!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MrAndy
13-02-15, 13:32
you should really taper the mirt if you are coming off it,its reccomended to drop the dosage 10& per month.Sert isnt to bad to get on try and focus on the positives not the negatives like side effects etc and you will be ok

wareing77
13-02-15, 14:23
Hi and thanks for your reply.

I thought i should slowly taper down but he insisted i should stop, i reduced to 15mg last night instead of stopping and feel really good today so i might stick to that for a while and see how it goes.

Nick

MrAndy
13-02-15, 15:30
Hi and thanks for your reply.

I thought i should slowly taper down but he insisted i should stop, i reduced to 15mg last night instead of stopping and feel really good today so i might stick to that for a while and see how it goes.

Nick
doctors are very ignorant when it comes to stopping meds,taper slowly you will not regret it

wareing77
13-02-15, 18:03
Do you think i could reduce the mirt and start the sertraline at the same time, at least that way i should get some sleep!!

Nick

MrAndy
15-02-15, 10:55
Do you think i could reduce the mirt and start the sertraline at the same time, at least that way i should get some sleep!!

Nick
Can't see why not

hanshan
15-02-15, 11:46
Is the mirtazapine not doing any good? You say your depression has lifted, but not your anxiety. Mirtazapine can be combined with other medications.

wareing77
15-02-15, 18:14
Well im still on 15mg of mirt and started 25mg of sertraline this morning, felt very spaced and kinda drunk but more with it than.when i was on 30mg of mirt alone. It kind of felt like ive been in a fog since i started mirt.

Yes the depression had lifted a bit but i was starting to slip back as the anxiety was getting the better of me.

Ive heard pregalabin is often used with mirtazapine but my dr insisted on sertraline and would not prescribe a combo as he is not a psychiatrist.

Dont think there are any psychiatrist's in my area, only psycologist's who cant prescribe.

Nick

hanshan
16-02-15, 00:40
I take pregabalin with mirtazapine. Pregabalin is licensed only for Generalised Anxiety, but can be very helpful for that (like all these medications, it doesn't suit everyone). I don't know that it is very useful for depression, but can be combined with an AD that helps with depression.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to add an update, GPs are perfectly capable of prescribing pregabalin plus an antidepressant (and many do) - they don't need to be psychiatrists. It may be that your doctor is simply unfamiliar with pregabalin and doesn't want to put the time in to get up-to-date. It may also be that the doctor has heard some scare talk about pregabalin and addiction / misuse (I've commented about this elsewhere, but there is no evidence of misuse developing among people without prior drug problems who take it as prescribed). Perhaps a more compelling reason is that it is far more expensive for UK practices to prescribe than some of the cheaper antidepressants.

wareing77
16-02-15, 18:08
Well i took the sertraline and felt very dizzy and like a drunk feeling, really didnt like it at all! Sinking into drepression again now coz i really thought mirtazapine would work and now have to go through all the start up again :-(

And my family have had enough of me now too, hate feeling so low and anxious all the time.

Nick