PDA

View Full Version : anxiety totally irrational so why wont it go

ohwell123
14-02-15, 15:43
ok I could write a book on what to tell other people to do so why do I still have it?

ive just been shopping like an agitated mess now im home im calm

ive never minded shopping in my life its just all so stupid

its like its spreading like a disease even though its ridiculous it doesn't help I get horrible physical symptoms I suppose

If I do have a good few hours I actually then THINK somethings wrong

haha its just a complete life ruining joke

I also get anxiety chronic if I slightly drink a few beers which is great so everyones out today watching the football enjoying themselves and im on pop bored out my tree
rant over

kris x

Oosh
14-02-15, 21:27
It's hard to NOT be conscious and aware of how anxious or not anxious you are. It's hard to not be thinking about it full stop once it's appeared and given you a fright. You become vigilant and that means always being aware of yourself and how anxious or not anxious you are. Maybe it's only gone when you are able to totally forget about it, which is obviously hard.

That's how I find it is. I know this because the times I have a problem is when I remember it out of the blue. Then your mood can change back to anxious, worrying and self aware in an instant. I just work to forget again as quick as possible.

Poppy Girl
15-02-15, 12:19
I agree with Oosh. The anxiety is kept going by being too aware of it and how you are feeling. DIstraction is definitely the key. Last year when anxiety first hit me I completely fell apart. I was off work for 6 weeks and pretty much stayed at home wallowing in it. I couldn't forget about it for one minute and there was no relief.
I tried everything to get rid of it - medication, counselling, cbt, mindfullness, reading up on the subject etc etc. All of these things helped in their different ways but I've come to realise that the only real path to recovery lies in accepting that you have anxiety for the time being and that you can choose to let it take over your life or you can carry on as normal with the horrible feelings in the background and slowly things will improve.
Ive had this anxiety for over a year now. Ive had a couple of good periods of stability when I can feel life returning to normal but then something will happen, I get stressed and then BAM - anxiety returns. I'm going through one of those setbacks now but I will not go back to that dark place I was in last year. I'm not fighting the anxiety though as to try and fight it means you re thinking about it. Ive just got to a point where I recognise that anxiety will always be a part of me but it doesn't define who I am.
Just keep doing things you enjoy, spend time with people who cheer you up and make you laugh, get out of the house - basically anything that will take your mind off how you feel. At first it may only be for a few minutes, then an hour or 2 but every minute is a step towards recovery.
Really hope you will see improvements soon .

ohwell123
16-02-15, 21:02
thanks for the replies

MrAndy
16-02-15, 21:26
Anxiety is learnt behaviour that's why it's so difficult to shrug off,time and patience are great healers
Stick with it things can get better