PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety can be positive?

russ
15-01-07, 09:53
I was chatting through how I was feeling yesterday with my Mom.

For sure to have the level of anxiety we have over our health isn't positive at all. However, assuming we get over the main anxiety, could this episode we are all having be turned into a positive?

For example, before I had this anxiety, I wasn't really greatly worried about my health, fitness, etc. While I don't want to be in the high anxiety state I'm in right now, perhaps in a few months with a little treatment I can be in a position where I'm more health concerned, without the anxiety?

So like the health anxiety can actually reduce but leave positive effects which in the long term will actually make me do a little more exercise, make a few diet and lifestyle changes and actually HELP protect my and our health in the future, more than those who haven't had the anxiety and go around not really caring a damn.

So I'm hoping for a positive in the future from what at the moment is a difficult situation.

Really, if you think about it people are walking around with illness, but most of us here have been to the GP's, had several tests and have come back healthy. Actaully, rather than worry, we are probably more healthy than most we walk past on the street who have no idea they are ill or not living healthy or caring.

I know it doesn't help the panic or anxiety, or I wouldn't be in the state I feel, but I suspect in months to come I will see the logic of what I have just wrote, while understanding at the time the anxiety isn't logicial.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

HazyMind
15-01-07, 10:22
Hi Russ,

Yeah I know just what you mean, I often think if I was as aware of my health as I am now but without the anxiety it would be a positive.

I am also more conscious about what I eat and exercise etc and although it doesnt do me any favours at the moment, I have learnt alot about illnesses and I know what symptoms I should worry about.

Hazy x

Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom.

lass
15-01-07, 18:55
Yes, I do agree, but I also think there is a fine line between making healthy choices and becoming obsessive!

If I read something that concerns me, then I will take steps to incorporate a solution into my life. However there is so much conflicting information - so in one place you can read that X is healthy for you, then in another place it will tell you it is bad for you!

I guess everything in moderation is the key. Hopefully I'll be able to practice this someday!

birdinumnum
15-01-07, 19:56
Hi,
In some ways I agree, since I've been obsessed with the idea that I have heart disease, I've been eating a near perfect diet (lost 10 lbs), not drinking alcohol or caffine, jogging and excercise every day and taking vitamins etc. etc.
But I see my friends going out drinking, eating what they want, basically enjoying there lives with seemingly no worries and I wish I could be like that.
Yeah in the end I might live a few years longer (hopefully) but at what cost?[Sigh...]
Birdi xxx

Dex
15-01-07, 20:41

feege
15-01-07, 20:50
Hi russ

what a brilliant positive way of looking at it! and absolutely true! I can't wait for the day when I can put all my medical knowledge and experience to good use and not be so blinking obsessed and anxious about it all!!!

Bring it on[8D]

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

Dex
15-01-07, 22:22
Thinking about it I reckon I've read that many symptoms etc I would sail through medical school. Just name the illness and I'll tell you the symptoms [B)]

ksmith
15-01-07, 23:43
I would never have given up smoking if I hadn't developed health anx.

Kay x