PDA

View Full Version : Hi. New to this, suffering from GAD.

danny12345
16-02-15, 13:46
Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum, and just felt the need to write a little about myself here.

My name is Danny. I've just turned 20 years old and am currently a first year student at a university in England. I've been suffering from some really bad anxiety over the past couple of months, which I believe has been caused by some really bad experiences with girls in the past. I'd rather not go into too much detail, suffice to say I've had a couple of partners cheat on me.

I have no problem socializing. However I find myself day in day out longing for a partner. It's stupid, I know. I've just felt so alone and like I needed somebody to care for me. Yesterday I had a really bad breakdown - I took a girl out for valentines day and when we got home suffered a panic attack in front of her. The next day (which also happened to be my birthday) she broke things off with me.

I've been really down, a little depressed and I just would like to move on and get past this. I feel like I've learned a lot about myself - I think a large part of my unsuccessful run in relationships recently has had a lot to do with me being scared of a break up occurring. I think this fear gets so bad that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, in the sense that I do things out of fear as opposed to out of happiness. I get paranoid about what my partner thinks of me all the time, and it just really stresses me out.

My doctor diagnosed me with GAD and I'd rather stay off medication for now and try to get past this on my own. Any support or tips anybody might have would be greatly appreciated.

There. Rant over. I really hope I can get past this, and any of you out there suffering can too.

MrAndy
16-02-15, 13:54
GAD is a bit all encompassing ,its sounds to me like you have issues with relationships and this causes your anxiety.If you dont want to try meds I think counselling would really help you
good luck