PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Twitching - again

evak2979
16-02-15, 22:15
Hello everyone.

Entering a period of intense stress (PhD thesis writing, constant job applications/interviews, intense working out), I one day had my right bicep muscle twitch all day.

I went to bed, and at the same night I had a night horror - I woke up, feeling like I was suffocating. I somehow managed to go back to sleep. Ever since, I've had generalised muscle twitching on and off around my body - calves, thighs mostly, but also stomach, shoulders, shouldeblades, etc.

My right shoulder feels stiff, as do other muscles on my body at times (I am a computer scientist, and I spend 10-12 hours/day in a seat).
I made the mistake to google, and neuro diseases came up. Here is the fun part. I haven't had any strength loss (i am still working out 5 days/week, and all my strength is there).

I just feel more tired. I feel exhausted often. I had full blood tests, nothing came up. Some days I am much better, some days the twitching is worse.
My GP put me back on Citalopram/Celexa, entering third week now. And I must admit, things are marginally better.
Still, why do I write all this? Reassurance of course...Us supporting one another is what keeps me going at times.
I am not dying, am I? :S

hanshan
17-02-15, 12:52
Probably no more than the rest of us. Most of your symptoms seem likely to be caused by anxiety, not something more sinister.

MrAndy
17-02-15, 13:32
anxiety causes muscle twitches its nothing more than that

Anonybrit
18-02-15, 13:53
If you don't have any weakness or wasting then this is almost certainly benign fasciculation syndrome.

I have it too and like you it started in the bicep and can now occur anywhere, usually when stressed. If I stop and think about it during a time in my life when I am not stressed, I realise it has gone, but I am currently immensely stressed and so I have it a lot.

If it is BFS it is 100% as the name suggests, benign, it will never become anything and chances are it will slowly fade away.

When it's very bad it can cause a crampy kind of pain, a bit like after an intense workout.

If you have weakness or wasting you must see a doctor.

It is a sign that you are struggling with anxiety more than the average person. It means you need to find ways to deal with this NOW and not later, because there are more goodies that anxiety can give you if you don't get it under control.

MrAndy
18-02-15, 14:55
my left buttock keeps twitching today not sure if its a sign from god or just a coincidence :)

Anonybrit
18-02-15, 15:00
my left buttock keeps twitching today not sure if its a sign from god or just a coincidence :)

Yep I get it there too lol

evak2979
18-02-15, 19:42
Thanks guys.
I did go to a GP, twice, and they ran almost full blood tests on me (except for a test that detects something called Kennedy's disease - woohoo, another thing to worry about. Naturally they said it's not necessary for me to worry about it, but you know how our mind works. )

I am just waiting for my Citalopram to kick in. 2 1/2 weeks in it so far...Hopefully soon enough.

The thing is, most of my twitches are not even twitches. They are little muscle jerks, here and there. Perhaps I spend too much time lately sitting cross legged, or one leg underneath the other. And I know, for a fact, I am having a daily panic attack where I go research symptoms online... For the last few weeks in fact.

That, including job interviews, day after day, international job interview trips, PhD thesis writing, an operation in August, and extensive work out sessions. Maybe my body and mind've reached their limit.

I've grown bloody tired of worrying, and sometimes I do find myself wishing I'd just die here and now, to let the worry end ! Which sucks as a thought on its own.

hanshan
19-02-15, 05:19
They say that doing a PhD is like being all of the seven dwarfs...

At first you're bashful, but before long you're sneezy, sleepy and dopey, and frequently grumpy. Finally, they call you doc, and with any luck you're happy.