PDA

View Full Version : Flying! Have I just missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime?

dan08
16-02-15, 23:47
Hi all,
It's been three, maybe four years since I've been on this site.
I've had a fear of flying since 2007, to cut a long story short I've flown all my life, taking my first flight in 1994 and my latest in 2012.

I've recently been invited to Las Vegas in October this year and having debated it for the last few days I've decided not to go. My partner is going with her parents and her sister and I too was invited but I feel that I can't bring myself to get on the flight, it's 10 hours give or take 30 minutes from Manchester UK and it's just too much for me to psyche myself up for. My last flight was in 2012 when my sister got married, due to it being her wedding I knew I didn't have a choice and I was going come hell or high water, so I decided to visit my GP who prescribed me diazepan, I cannot remember what Mg it was but it seems to do the trick. I still had the dreaded build up to it but I made it, somehow, through the flight and home again.

Since my terrible flight in 2007 I've been diagnosed with a condition known as Dysmotility, it has the same symptoms of IBS. The plane was about to leve the UK and I desperatley needed the toilet, the air stewardess said I couldn't go and guess what that's what started it, she wouldn't let me use the toilet and that's how my fear started.

The flight time was 4 hours direct to Greece in 2012. I feel like I'm now missing the opportunity of a lifetime now to go to Las Vegas and i'd ike to hear from anyone else who has a fear of flying. I just feel like long-haul would be too much for me but it I feel ridiculous being only 26 and missing such an opportunity, I feel like had they been going somewhere with a 2-3 maybe 4 hour flight I would have somehow got through it. I have heard of these course of fear of flying seminars but I don't feel like this would help me because my fear isn't of the noises, turbulence or anything like that.

jcd_gad
24-02-15, 23:51
So the root cause is Dysmotility? Have you been able to manage this?

Ange1
27-02-15, 13:02
I have a big fear of flying and haven't flown since 2005. Before that in the past I flew to Australia and Singapore as well as the usual European holidays. I've no idea what started it but I've almost not got on the plane a few times. Easyjet do a fear of flying course that has a very impressive success rate. It involves classroom one evening then flight the next on a week end. They are happy to discuss anything with you and have lots of online info. If Manchester is your nearest they do one from there. I'm going to sign up for Gatwick. :) x