PDA

View Full Version : switching ssri

supdudes
17-02-15, 11:46
Hi guys, I was recently switched from escitalopram to sertraline, after giving it a trial for more than three months. Is there anyone who for anxiety had a better experience with their second or third than their first? If so, did you feel the difference immediately or did it take a while? I dont feel any difference at all so far, but its only been five days. My issue is extreme physical anxiety and also mental anxiety ofc. I know its cliche to say your issue is extreme, but at least the physical once are rather at the unpleasant end of the anxietyspectrum. So does anyone have good experiences with switching ssri's (and not becaues it pooped out on you), and if so, how soon did you notice this. I would love some feedback on this. Thanks in advance. Please dont ask if I handled escitalpram the right way cause I did. Tried really long on both 10 and 20 mg.

Bram

Always-Worried
17-02-15, 15:16
I first tried Prozac (about 18mths), then onto Citalopram (18mths) and now venlafaxine (11yrs!!) so I definitely had to try a few before I found one that helped my symptoms reduce.

I can't remember exactly how long it was to feel better when I switched but know from when I increase (had to increase last autumn and also been increased today) that it takes about 10-14 days.

I'd also point out its a gradual thing, in that I think "Oooh I haven't felt so anxious the last couple of days" rather than an instant change you can put your finger on.

Good luck....

supdudes
18-02-15, 10:21
tnx for responding man.
Did it also help reduce your physical symptoms? And would you say now that you've found the right medication, that you're pretty much symptom free and are able to live a normal live? I think I'll try an snri too after this. Who knows.

MrAndy
18-02-15, 10:47
I tried Citalopram and it sent me loopy so I tried Sertraline and it worked really well my depression lifted and anxiety lowered.I found sert easy to get on and easy to get off.
I will add though that I think sert is a slow burner and takes a while to work
My view is if it doesnt work move on and try something else there are plenty of different meds out there
good luck

supdudes
18-02-15, 12:44
Thanks so much for the reply. Gratifying to hear that. I'll just have to wait it out I guess. I only started to feel the added side effects today am really sick. But I guess thats normal when switching? Great to hear a story with a good ending anyways.