PDA

View Full Version : Cancer causes anxiety & depression

sidsuae
17-02-15, 13:16
I am battling health anxiety since 20 years. Since one month i had become very cancer phobic. I know that, cancer is caused by toxins from the carcinogenic industrial wastages, food chemicals, overuse of household chemicals, living near toxic plants & some bacteria etc.
I was googling something, then suddenly one topic was there cancer causes anxiety & depression in cancer patients. It made me very freak and apprehensive.
I started to obsess that, my anxiety is due to cancer.
Plz help me how to challenge this negative & catastrophic thought.
I am very feared & unable to relax & sleep since 2 days.
Even klonopin is also not helping to relax me. What to do.

Fishmanpa
17-02-15, 13:21
I had cancer and yes, as you would expect, having cancer and the challenges it brings can and does cause depression and anxiety. It's not a symptom of cancer. It's a consequence/side effect of having it. Fortunately, in my case as well as in your case, you can heal with therapy, CBT, meds or a combination thereof.

STOP GOOGLING!

Positive thoughts

popejoan
17-02-15, 16:39
I think what you read is "knowing you have cancer" might cause anxiety and depression. On it own, anxiety is not a symptom of any type of cancer like Fishmanpa said. If you want to find a symptom you will always find one. Don't focus on cancer, only focus on your anxiety and make steps to make it better.

sidsuae
18-02-15, 10:00
Thanks fishmanpa & Popejoan for your informative & supportive advice. Exactly that was i read If somebody knows he has cancer he gets anxiety & depression. Due to mitral valve prolapse i always have anxiety & palpitation, but since reading that article my mind thinks that, my anxiety is coming due to cancer. I know that it is irrational fear, but my mind is very HYPER ALERT even of minor fear & wants to protect.
Everybody has anxiety & all people are anxious or stress for some reason, that means everybody who are anxious are due to cancer. some have test anxiety, others furture & family anxiety, some financial anxiety. etc How stupid my mind, but still it is obsessing. How to challenge this catastrophic thought. When ever i feel tense, that cancer fear is coming. When i am normal the cancer fear brings anxiety, so it is becoming vicious cycle & i am getting trapped.
Plz some cognitive technique will be helpful to fight this fear.

Serenity1990
18-02-15, 17:46
Find me a chronic disease anxiety and depression aren't listed as associated with somewhere on the internet and I'll give you a million pounds.