PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had Positional vertigo?

Always-Worried
17-02-15, 14:59
I went to see my GP today and she says I have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). She did a manoeuvre (Dix-Hallpike test) to bring on the vertigo.

I asked if it could be caused by anything sinister and she said "not in your case"
"How do you know?" I asked
"Because you don't have the (sinister) symptoms" she replied.

Of course I was happy with that for five minutes, and am now thinking "what if she's wrong?"!!

I'm light-headed on and off so am thinking maybe the BPPV set me off and the anxiety is making things worse?

Amylee1982
17-02-15, 15:02
Hey

My friend as this too she was diagnosed at the hospital and was told its nothing sinister. Im not a doctor and everyonr is different but i suppose shes goin off your other symptoms.

What did she do to bring it on? Did it work? I reall hope it eases...im sure stress brings it on too.

Always-Worried
17-02-15, 15:07
She had me sit in the couch thingy, held my head at 45 degrees and laid me down really quick, this brought on the vertigo - and then when I sat back up I got it too.

Fishmanpa
17-02-15, 15:15
I replied to your other post. It's not sinister and your doctor is correct. And yes, anxiety will exasperate your symptoms.

Positive thoughts

Ange1
17-02-15, 23:54
I've had this several times over the last 10 years and at first it really made me very anxious. Gets into a vicious cycle of vertigo and anxiety making each other worse. Mine was caused by a neck problem ( not helped by blocked sinus) and hands on treatment sorted it out. flare ups are never as bad now as I know what the problem is so I don't get caught in that cycle again. It's not a pleasant thing so I know how you feel but the cause is nothing to worry about. Xx

working mom
16-07-15, 13:44
Positional vertigo can be rough. It comes and goes for some, while others its an ongoing battle. A friend once told me about a simbalance pillow that she uses to help with her chronic vertigo. They also have a facebook page that has a lot of articles related to positional vertigo and helpful suggestions in dealing with the day-to-day . VEDA is another nice website for support and information. The Elpey head maneuver is another great way to treat bppv, however not everyone has the same possible response to it. There are other maneuvers as well if you search online and speak with a doctor. Good luck to all you sufferers! Were in this together.

GingerFish
16-07-15, 15:07
I have this too and also getting tested for meinere's disease. Its horrible. The first attack of BPPV I had, I thought I was dying. Never felt anything so strong in my life. It felt like someone had physically grabbed me down to the floor and started shaking and spinning me or the room about. I used to only get it once or twice a year but get it every few days now along with hearing loss so getting tested for meinere's as my mum has it too. It does get worse when I am anxious and in the past, every time I got an attack of vertigo, it brought on a severe panic attack. Now I just sit there and let it pass and get on with my life after it leaves but holy moly, its horrible even though it only lasts a few secs!

pandaabc
16-09-15, 19:41
I had it, but it got fixed pretty easily. Mine was posterior canal BPPV of the left ear. Either Epley or Semont maneuver worked wondrously to cure it.

When it comes to BPPV, the key points are:
1/ Make sure that it is BPPV (positive on Dix-Hallpike test) and not something may mimic it (Meniere disease, vestibular neuritis, acoustic neuroma etc.)
2/ What type of BPPV (posterior, lateral, anterior) of which ear (left, right or both)

If you truly get posterior BPPV, just a couple of Epley sessions will definitely work. Lateral and anterior variants need some modified maneuver. If it is something else, particles re-positioning won't help.