PDA

View Full Version : So mad at myself

annie.hall
18-02-15, 05:42
I've been suffering from bad anxiety that came from nowhere for the past two days. I managed to go to work both days even if I had panic attacks, and I thought that I was getting better. But I learned that tomorrow I have to replace my colleague whose mother is sick and now the anxiety's back. I don't think I'll be able to go work tomorrow and my colleagues will have a crappy day... I'm overwhelmed by the fear that the anxiety will never subside. I have an intense feeling of dread in the stomach, constant tingles everywhere on my body, shortness of breath and I'm constantly thirsty. I was doing so well for over a year and I've been struggling for two months and I feel like I'm just getting worse and worse. I can't help being mad at myself right now. I hate what I am when anxiety takes over...

Oosh
18-02-15, 21:26
It's easy to start getting into the old bad habit of worrying about everything and that includes that "it's only going to get worse and worse". Recognise it when you observe yourself doing this and getting yourself anxious again.

Put your mind on happier, more confidence inducing things.
It's great that you kept yourself in a low anxiety place for so long. You're obviously getting good at it.

Think how good it will feel getting this tricky period at work out of the way. It'll feel great completing it and you won't get that good mood and sense of achievement unless you complete it so go and storm through it. Use your new found strength and go and punch a hole through it.

23tana
19-02-15, 00:27
If I dread something the next day, I put all my clothes out the night before, my bag, keys and everything I need ready. Then in the morning I dress and leave before I can even think of turning back. Square shoulders, deep breath and go for it!

You've been doing brilliantly. You can do this.

duns
19-02-15, 21:39
I think that's great advice 23tana. It's about not having any amount of time to over analyse and think.

annie.hall
22-02-15, 18:24
Thank you for all of your sound advice. I don't know why I find it so hard to get back on track, but your kinds thoughts helped me a lot. I will keep on trying to not let anxiety rule my life.

Disillusioned
22-02-15, 21:33
Don't beat yourself up; even when we're doing well there's always a chance our anxiety will rear its ugly head again. I'm in a bit of a similar situation myself: I've been doing well for a few months now but something has set me back. It happens. Recognising it and accepting is often half the battle won. It will get better :)