PDA

View Full Version : A thanks to this forum over MS fear

MrH
18-02-15, 08:45
Hi all, this is a bit of a rambly post, but I just want to thank this forum for "talking me down" over the last few weeks.

Just after Xmas, I started getting a weird numbness in my face, as if I'd just had an anaesthetic at the dentist. This was soon followed by tingling in my right hand. A few days after that, I began to spend the evenings with an intense burning feeling in my ankles, calves and thighs, and sometimes in my lower back and buttocks.

Like an idiot I went to Google before the Doctor's, and yep, you guessed it, stumbled very quickly on MS. This fear was heightened by the fact I spent about an hour one morning with double vision.

I went to the GP and had some blood tests, and the symptoms subsided a bit while I persuaded myself it would just turn out to be some deficiency, or something thyroidy. However the blood came back clear and the doctor referred me to a neurologist. Even though MS was never mentioned, I became convinced that the doctor was referring me because he thought I had MS. After this the symptoms came back strong, and I spent a few miserable weeks in a state of panic.

Some time during my panicked Googling I stumbled on this site. I've suspected I've had anxiety for a while - I've had palpitations on and off for about a year, and late last year had a trip to A&E with chest pains, which after every test under the sun turned up nothing sinister, and now just happen occasionally and I don't even think about bar the discomfort. I've also had IBS symptoms for about 15 years, which I've never really worried about bar the inconvenience and annoyance.

But back to this story, the first thing I saw on this forum is that MS fear from random neurological symptoms is so common it's something of a first time poster cliche. And I learnt stuff that the "here are the symptoms of MS in handy bullet points" sites don't show. If it comes and goes throughout the body, it's unlikely to be MS, for example. MS wouldn't wonk out my eyesight for a short period of time, it would go completely and not come back for a while (far more likely my astigmatism was temporarily knackered from squinting at a video on a mobile phone in the dark...).

Over the last couple of days my legs have started aching loads, and my calf muscles are twitching like there's snakes under them (something I've noticed before to a lesser degree in the past and never really worried about). If it wasn't for this site I'd never have come across Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, which seems much more common and fits my symptoms much better than anything nasty, and is also a manifestation of anxiety. If I hadn't found this, I would have been listening to the sites that say twitching is a symptom of MS, or even worse getting MND in my head. The site has also made me realise the "muscle weakness" of symptom lists doesn't mean aching or getting tired, but I'd be stumbling and unable to use my legs properly. I went to the gym for the first time in five months this week, and by my usual unfit standards did fine.

So I have my neurology appointment on Monday, and I'm still apprehensive and have occasional wobbles - I'm not a doctor, and I don't know for sure there's nothing serious wrong. But this site has made me realise there is a much bigger chance of being fine. I know some people are terrified of their neurology appointment, but I'm actually looking forward to it, which I think shows deep down I know I'm probably OK.

For those having health anxiety, please spend hours poring over this forum, rather than anywhere else on Google. And I'll end on something to keep in mind, which seems like a tangent, but hopefully makes sense...

I'm a birder, and very often people will come to you saying they've seen a very rare bird indeed. They've seen something they don't recognise, put its features into Google, and come up with something that's almost comically unlikely - if not impossible - to find in this country. When pushed, it usually turns out they've seen something relatively common that they're just not familiar with, but they haven't got the knowledge to rule out the more likely options, or the skill to interpret the features they're seeing.

My point being that's exactly what we're doing by Googling our health, except diagnosing neurology is a million times harder than IDing garden birds!

So I'll post again when I've been to the neurologist, but thanks to this forum again for making me think a bit more rationally.

Pipkin
18-02-15, 09:16
Hi and :welcome: to NMP!

That's a very good analogy of how a little knowledge can lead us down the entirely wrong path - it reminds me of when Google told me I had anthrax when it was just a cold (don't ask!).

Good to have you on board

Pip

popejoan
18-02-15, 15:41
This is a very positive post. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm glad you have overcome your fears. I have massive MND fears which are ruining my life on a daily basis so it's good to see someone who could leave their fears behind. Hope you continue feeling like this and don't forget to post after your appointment. Take care :)

MrH
18-02-15, 16:12
This is a very positive post. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm glad you have overcome your fears. I have massive MND fears which are ruining my life on a daily basis so it's good to see someone who could leave their fears behind. Hope you continue feeling like this and don't forget to post after your appointment. Take care :)

Thanks. I wouldn't say the fear's gone completely, but the rational brain's winning at the moment. I'll keep you informed how things go. :)

MrH
23-02-15, 15:26
OK, went to the neurologist today. Had an interview about symptoms and a thorough exam. Absolutely nothing came up in any of the examinations, and she said it was probably anxiety-related.

There's a slim chance it may be caused by inflammation (with various possible causes), and so having an MRI, but she says she would have expected some abnormalities in the examination after so many weeks of symptoms, plus the fact my symptoms and over the whole body and don't follow any particular nerve, so she says she expects it to be clear and it's just a precaution. So I'll have a bit of uncertainty for a few weeks until that gets done, but if the neurologist's not worried, I'll try not to be either.

Just a note if anyone's stressing about seeing a neuro, it's really not a scary experience at all.

popejoan
23-02-15, 16:12
Congratulations on great news! Now it's time to work on your anxiety :)

DaisyP
23-02-15, 20:32
Glad to hear it went well. I'm in a bit of a Ms type fear at the moment. Seen the neuro & just waiting for an MRI. She said she expects it to be clear and is just doing for my peace of mind. I'm worried though as I have such weir symptoms.

What did she mean by inflammation?

Toronto girl
23-02-15, 22:08
MrH thanks for posting. I am glad everything turned out well and I am sure your MRI will too.

I have had a prickly sensation beneath the skin on both of my legs and an adrenaline surging feeling in my chest for a long time and it has been both really annoying and scary. After extensive medical testing they found nothing wrong. So I am trying to come to terms with it being anxiety but sometimes I find it rather difficult.

Let us know how it goes.

MrH
24-02-15, 13:07
What did she mean by inflammation?

Just that there is a slim chance that something is causing some pressure on the point where my head is attached to my spine, but she says she would expect the neurological exam to show some abnormalities if that was the case and she fully expects the MRI to show nothing.

It's worth noting during all this, when I Googled symptoms and decided at one point I definitely had MS, that the single only time MS was mentioned outside my own head was when the neurologist gave a relatively long list of possible things that could, conceivably, be causing inflammation on my spine, which is something the neurologist is confident I don't have.

The lesson here, which is obvious when you think about it, is Googling symptoms only leads you to a blunt, simplistic, un-nuanced version of medical knowledge, which we don't have the training to understand. We also have a tendency to catastrophise what we read, as we don't have the ability to assess the probability of what we're reading. There's a reason why doctors do seven or more gruelling years at medical school followed by a highly paid career - it's bloody difficult.

Yes the symptoms are weird - there was a point where I was convinced it was so weird it couldn't possibly be anxiety. But are they any weirder than sweating, or a dry mouth, or palpitations, or twitches, or chest pains, or the feeling you have a lump in your throat, or bowel problems, or tension headaches...? In the fact the weirder and more random your symptoms are, the less likely it is to be something nasty, which follows set patterns and attacks specific parts of your body.

I'm going to have a few wobbles before the MRI, I'm sure (I'm already fixating on a click in my neck more than is healthy, which I need to stop), but I'm hoping this logic keeps me sound. I'm going to work on the assumption it is all anxiety in the meantime, and try and get those levels down. Easier said than done I know...!

Toronto girl
24-02-15, 14:11
MrH I am sure your MRI will be normal, just as your neurologist has said.

I have to try to stay focused on the fact my symptoms have been tested to no end and nothing is ever found. The thing that scares me is my symptoms only move around on my legs, not all over so then I fixate on that. I have to remind myself I have done the thorough testing route.

MrH
24-02-15, 14:12
The thing that scares me is my symptoms only move around on my legs, not all over so then I fixate on that.

But from a nerve's point of view they're two different body parts, so think of it like that!

Toronto girl
24-02-15, 14:16
Actually MrH, you are right. I even asked one of the more renowned neurologists in Toronto if the prickly feeling on my legs could be anxiety induced and she said yes.

Here is to all of us feeling back to normal. :)

DaisyP
24-02-15, 21:01
Thanks for the explanation :-)

Mine is the same, moves around a lot. It's so annoying! Tonight my legs feels so tingly that it might give way!!