PDA

View Full Version : IBS or just anxious?

Hlucyx
18-02-15, 09:26
Hi all! I'm new to the site so please bear with haha!

I was diagnosed with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) about a month ago now and have been on treatment in the form of Sertraline (taken every day) and Diazepam (as and when needed).

Recently I've noticed a change in my toilet habits (TMI sorry!) and I was wondering whether the anxiety was the cause of this or whether it could possibly be IBS. I can go days without having a BM but then the next week have to go every day! This is making my anxiety worse because this is not the norm for me. A lot of people have said it could be change in diet but I don't feel as if I have been eating differently to normal? Others say it's due to anxiety but this is where it confuses me as I haven't been feeling that anxious until the symptoms (bloating, foul gas, urge to use the bathroom) start. Also, I find that the symptoms wear off if I'm distracted which makes me think it's purely all in my head.

My GP told me that IBS can be triggered by anxiety so it made me wonder if it's worth getting a test or something? Sorry if I sound like a total newbie but I'm getting frustrated with the way I'm feeling as I feel like I'm taking a step back with my anxiety issues. Any reassurance would be much appreciated :)

MrAndy
18-02-15, 09:47
sertraline is known to upset your stomach when you first start taking it but anxiety can also cause IBS.I took probiotics for over 3 months ,cleaned up my diet and it got rid of mine for good

Hlucyx
19-02-15, 15:47
That's great news that everything got better for you MrAndy! Very reassuring :) having only been on 25mg of Sertraline so far I don't know whether it could be that. I'll speak to my GP and see what he says.

Hlucyx
25-02-15, 09:54
It's happening again...

Went from Wednesday to Sunday having no BM's at all, now I'm needing to go everyday! I don't understand the sudden change! Is this typical IBS symptoms or am I just overreacting? :unsure: