PDA

View Full Version : CBT over the phone

steph25
18-02-15, 17:12
So after years of having anxiety I have finally spoken to my doctor about it and he recommended CBT.

Next Thursday I am having my first session of CBT but due to a couple of reasons I am having it over the phone. Does anyone have any experience of this?

NoPoet
18-02-15, 17:27
Yes. Over the phone is extremely handy as you don't have to bugger about driving or catching the bus. If you are suffering from severe agoraphobia or something which prevents you from travelling, or if you're physically disabled, it's a godsend. It's usually cheaper than face to face as well.

It can be weird at first as it's harder to build a trusting relationship with a voice on the phone. I tend to find face to face sessions are more helpful but I regularly get phone support from my therapist or even from the Samaritans when I am getting overwhelmed by a blip or going through a life crisis.

So yes, telephone therapy does help, it provides immediate access to support without any inconvenience (except if you have a cup of tea you need to use one of your own bags instead of theirs, which means if you have 80 phone sessions, you have cost yourself a whole box of Typhoo).

EDIT: CBT requires you to do some work and you must do this, even if you don't feel like doing it, because it will help you identify the causes of problems and train you in how to overcome them. It's hard work but it is aiming at permanent recovery, it isn't just there to give you a temporary boost. Good luck and work hard!

Hlucyx
18-02-15, 18:52
I'm having my first CBT appointment over the phone too! In a couple of days actually haha! I was a bit apprehensive at first with it being a telephone appointment rather than face-to-face but reading the above post it's clear that it has it's advantages! My only worry is is that I'll start crying and it'll be mega awkward :blush:

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Also, have they given you a questionnaire to fill out or anything?

Daisy112
18-02-15, 20:24
I have my first appointment Friday. I didn't know over the phone was option. I have to drive an hour away to see someone my doctor recommended. I am really excited about it and already started reading up on it. Medicine doesn't really seem to be helping me. The side effects are giving me anxiety lol.

JMA
18-02-15, 21:07
I wish I had my CBT over the phone. It would mean I wouldn't have to bother putting any clothes on :ohmy:

steph25
19-02-15, 15:11
Thank you everyone for your replies, it seems that doing it over the phone is a good way to go and I will definitely put the effort it! I'm sick of being the way I am and want to change and be less anxious so I will do anything to do that.

@Daisy112 - medication didn't help me either, apart from being expensive, it made me sick and worse so I'm hoping the CBT will do something.

Good luck with your appointments Hlucyx and Daisy112!