PDA

View Full Version : All day panic attack

Daisy112
18-02-15, 17:39
Hi, looking for some advice and support. I'm new to this panic attack thing. The last week I've had a terrible time. It started last Tuesday when I kept going into panic attacks. The phone would ring and I would go into one. Everything set me off. Fast heart beat, sharp chest pains, couldn't breath, light headed, upset stomach. I also, get an extreme burning sensation in my back and arms. I went to the doctor he prescrived prozac. I took 2.5 mg and had a horrible time. Spaced out couldn't stay awake. It last for 24 hours. So I didn't take another pill. That night I went into extreme anxiety. So the doctor called in Ativan. I took a .5mg pill which helped. He also prescribed Celexa. Ever since being on Celexa I've had horrible diarrhea and now the last two days I feel like my throat is closing right after I take it. It's difficult to swallow. I've been trying to drink water. Has anyone had an allergic reaction to an ssri or is this something else?

NoPoet
18-02-15, 17:52
An all-day panic attack is a blip. A blip, often called a setback, is where your symptoms temporarily worsen. In your case it's possible that the medication may be causing you side effects. Side effects from medication tend to last a few weeks at most before they either gradually start to die off, or you stop noticing them (often because you get used to them and lose your fear of them).

Side effects can start within a few minutes of taking the medication. However they cannot start immediately as your body has not had time to absorb any of it. If you feel like you can't swallow right after taking it, as in a few seconds, you are experiencing anxiety because you are either scared of what the medication might do to you, or you're scared of what it represents (eg you are scared of the anxiety - "fear of fear").

Your first couple of doses of any medication of this type can have alarming side effects. I thought I was going psychotic. THESE ARE COMMON EFFECTS and are caused by your brain thinking it is under attack; remember that your brain is used to working in a certain way and does not understand that the chemical changes caused by SSRI medication are trying to help. You will probably feel any side effects quickly, but not immediately. It certainly doesn't take hours or days to feel them as some GPs incorrectly advise.

It is very, very common to experience hightened anxiety and reduced sleep (usually due to anxiety) when starting on SSRIs. Only you can know if you're able to face it, only you can know if the medication makes the anxiety too bad, and if you decide that you cannot take that type of medication you should speak to your doctor about trying something else.

Remember above all else that anxiety is trying to control you. Stand firm. Hold the line. Let it wash over you and don't be swept away. Teach it now that it will never take over and that you will beat it.

Daisy112
18-02-15, 18:04
Thank you! Your advice was very helpful. The throat closing feeling started about two to three minutes after taking the pill. Have you ever heard of an allergic reaction to an ssri?

Bintybewt
21-02-15, 21:38
Citralopram didn't agree with me but things are getting better I'm on the right medication I still get my days of worry stress n panic , hypnosis videos help me thy mk me relax and I get dleep but I still wake up shsking until I calm dwn then headaches etc but I know it's not a wonder drug I gta help myself aswell as taking the drugs it is awful Hun belev me I think I'm gona die every night but u gta fight it never let it beat you look up Charlie hoehn he does a 10 day free self help you can subscribe to u get an email for 10 days from him and I'm on day 4 and already he's giving me ideas to help myself good luck n always here for a chat xx

Lupo74
23-02-15, 16:49
Unfortunately these meds, Prozac, Citralopram are really meant for depression. Some research has show that they help with anxiety, but they don't work with everyone who has anxiety because we are all different.
The problem is the depressed person may appreciate the feelings but the anxious person may be terrified by these same feelings.

Sadly that only leaves the anxious person with highly addictive and potentially dangerous benzodiazepines, Valium etc which in the long run help no one and probably arn't much better than alcohol :(

Too little research has been done to develop an effective anti anxiety drug that doesn't cause addiction, is not dangerous or like anti-depressants Prozac etc doesn't cause horrible side effects.

My GP was right in saying that there is no magic pill for anxiety.

The only option is chamomile tea and CBT which are probably far more effective.