PDA

View Full Version : GAD/Phobia

Hlucyx
18-02-15, 18:47
Hi all! New to the site so bear with!

I was diagnosed with GAD about a month ago and have been prescribed Sertraline (taken every day) and Diazepam (to take as and when needed). The last few months have been a bit of a rollercoaster but I feel like I'm slowly getting there!

I was just curious as to whether anybody stuffers from anxiety induced by a certain phobia? I have emetophobia (fear of vomit) and my anxiety has stemmed from worrying that me or others around me are going to be ill. I have suffered from this phobia for as long as I can remember but have no idea what triggered me to be so afraid! My GP has referred me to a therapist and my fusty appointment is in a couple of days.

Hoping people will share their experiences if they are suffering from a similar thing! :)

Oosh
18-02-15, 21:11
Hi

There's actually an emetophobia message board here http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=104

And look for a thread on the General Anxiety board called "Anxiety causing eating disorder"

Welcome to the site.

Sunflower2
18-02-15, 21:11
I have the same phobia - emetophobia, and quite a few on here do too! My anxiety is centred around this phobia, and I also have ocd issues with germs because of it too! I go to extreme lengths to avoid having to worry about me or others being sick and I see a therapist weekly for it now. I have such a severe phobia that I couldn't even take the medication is was prescribed incase of nausea! I was also prescribed sertraline though! Good luck with your cbt, it really has helped me a lot :)

Hlucyx
19-02-15, 12:29
Thank you Oosh! Didn't know that there was a whole message board dedicated to this! Will use that in future :)

And Kimberley2 I am exactly the same! I went to my GP when I first started to feel like the anxiety was taking over and he prescribed me the Diazepam. This was fine until around Christmas time when there was so much going around and as somebody who works with kids I thought it was inevitable that I was going to get something! Also had family members and people I live with in and out of hospital for various reasons so that made things even worse.
My doctor prescribed me the Sertraline and after taking just 1 50mg tablet I had to half my dosage because I felt so rubbish! Did you have any problems with it to start with?

Sunflower2
19-02-15, 19:13
Winter is difficult for me because of that, I'm constantly hearing of people getting sick and I just spend the whole time in a panic! Well I never managed to find any courage to take them.. So you're doing better than me!

Hlucyx
19-02-15, 20:00
It's just awful! Used to be my favourite time of year until I got older and realised all the bad stuff was going about!
Oh right I see! Well if it makes you feel any better I halved my dosage for a while and have only just taken my full tablet today! I'm hoping that it's been in my system long enough for my to take the full tablet and not even notice! I would definitely recommend this if you are still feeling particularly anxious :)