PDA

View Full Version : Check Your History

Fishmanpa
19-02-15, 22:25
I saw something on another forum that made a lot of sense. Go back and look at your post history. You may find a pattern to your posts concerning frequency and time of month etc. Other posters, especially female members, found that they posted more during Aunt Flo's visit or when they were ovulating (hormones). Others found that their HA spiked during an emotional time or when certain stressors/events took place in their lives (relationship issues, job stress etc.). Some coincide with reading the news or a movie etc.

By seeing a pattern, it may just help you manage your HA a little better.

Positive thoughts

snowflake293
20-02-15, 09:12
This is so helpful, thank you so much! You know, I was in a right mess last night really on edge and HA was up - was so snappy with my fella too when he got in from work but we had a good chat and it turns out I am really stressed at work! I definitely think when my work is stressing me my HA gets worse. Really useful insight.

hanshan
20-02-15, 09:45
Hi Fishmanpa,

I've long felt that anxiety is contagious, that anxiety about one thing has a knock-on effect creating anxiety about something totally unrelated.

As for hormones ... I don't like to comment, but they are a slower-acting part of the neurotransmission system.

cpe1978
20-02-15, 10:47
Hanshan that is an interesting perspective. I have always viewed anxiety as a bottle filling with water with a number of holes that are plugged by corks. Eventually one will blow, and for those of us here it is the HA hole. I know how that feels for me.

Fishmanpa
20-02-15, 13:02
Yes, interesting perspective Hanshan... I know first hand my body's reaction to certain stressors which create even more stress and worry. A domino effect if you will.

Chris, that's also an interesting point. Which, in effect is what therapy helps with. Learning where those plugged holes are and repairing them can help keep others from blowing out.

Concerning the OP, looking at your history may also be a double edged sword. For some, especially those in recovery or the healing process, it may be eye opening and encouraging, and for others, depending on the frequency, subject matter and longevity of membership, it could be depressing. Hopefully in the case of the latter, it will be the catalyst that finally motivates one to get treatment.

Positive thoughts

popejoan
20-02-15, 14:57
That's true. My HA was out of control when I had to write a 3000 words essay in 3 days. I've submitted it and I'm doing better now.

flipsake
20-02-15, 18:07
Yes I do think this helps me. I know that my HA has been its worse ever recently and also know that I have the biggest stressors as well. It's useful as a reminder to see just how many times I've stressed over things and often new ones as well as the same old ones.

Chris, your water analogy is similar to one I use. The stress tank. Not sure where I got it from. Your tank can only empty through one drain. Put to much in at once For too long and it overflows. A little you can manage all the time.

I can also see your point Mark.

Mrs worryworm
20-02-15, 22:36
When I had my period last week I was completely off the scale anxious and I can't believe how much I have calmed down since it finished.

RedXIII
20-02-15, 23:55
Fishmanpa, you should be sainted.

I hope you know that you are helping people everyday.

swgrl09
21-02-15, 00:00
There are almost always patterns, as at least in my case, through therapy I have noticed that obsessions with health problems are a way that I distract myself from what is really bothering me. At some point it became my way of coping. So now I try to look at what is really underneath the HA ... what am I really feeling that HA is distracting/trying to protect me from ... usually it makes a lot of sense when I get to the bottom of it.

This week my HA has been bad .. It's that time of the month, work has been stressful, and my husband and I are trying to buy a house ... of course I am finding something else to obsess over to keep my mind away from the other things. The last time my HA was bad was anniversary of my mom's death.

There is almost always a pattern and we can get a lot of insight if we can step out of our cycle of panic and take an outside look at the bigger picture.