PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out over... wait for it... conjunctivitis!

snowflake293
20-02-15, 09:17
OMG this is ridiculous now... as I've moaned on about in my previous posts, I am having ear and nose problems (all on left side) been referred to ENT for camera, freaking out etc...

For the last few days my eye (same side, on left) has been a bit watery... this morning it was a bit crusty and now it feels a BIT sore. I KNOW this is conjunctivitis but why am I freaking out thinking it is the c word?!?!

I am SO SICK of my stupid brain turning every slight symptom into a huge drama that will undoubtedly kill me. It spills over onto my poor bf too who I live with. This morning he was coughing so of course every time he coughs I'm like "you sure you're ok?!" and it is probably doing his head in.

Gonna book my next CBT session in today. Determined to kick the butt of this horrible health anxiety!!!

I am stressed at work at the mo too and that is DEFINITELY making the HA worse. I have a lot of anger inside lol. I seriously feel like punching a wall today. I also think I might be hormonal.

hanshan
20-02-15, 09:33
Why are you getting conjunctivitis? If you can pinpoint a cause, you can avoid it in future.

If yor current conjunctivitis is not infectious, your pharmacist should be able to recommend pharmacy medication.

If it is infectious, a doctor can prescribe antibiotic medication.

Either way, it is not a cause for concern.

snowflake293
20-02-15, 12:39
Thanks Hanshan. No clue why I have got it. I am getting over shingles so perhaps I am a little run down. Still worrying it is something 'nasty' all though I am pretty sure it is conjunctivitis! Got some drops from the chemist. I have had it before and it feels like that.

Worrying though cause I have ear and nose problems on the same side so fearful it is all connected and related to something deadly.

I am aware this is health anxiety, but I am recovering and it is so slow.

Just really fed up today! :(

hanshan
22-02-15, 09:27
Hi Snowflake,

Most health anxiety sufferers are worried about really serious stuff like cancer or heart disease, so conjunctivitis is fairly approachable.

If the medicine from the pharmacy works, well and good. It may not be health anxiety, and something that can be treated.

Good luck with it.

snowflake293
22-02-15, 09:37
Hi Snowflake,

Most health anxiety sufferers are worried about really serious stuff like cancer or heart disease, so conjunctivitis is fairly approachable.

If the medicine from the pharmacy works, well and good. It may not be health anxiety, and something that can be treated.

Good luck with it.

It isn't the fact it is conjunctivitis that freaks me out, in my original post I think I mentioned that I am scared of everything being the c word (cancer) I have a massive cancer phobia and the point I was making is even slight health problems (like conjunctivitis) set me off cause I worry that it isn't actually conjunctivitis but some sort of cancer, or cancer symptom.

I am getting pain in my eye socket this morning and its on the same side as where I am having ear and nose trouble too and I am really worried about it being something serious.

Trying to take my mind off it, when I sit here thinking about it all the time it get worse. I had a good day yesterday and didn't worry about it too much but worrying a bit today.

Thanks

hanshan
24-02-15, 09:36
Sorry, I thought your using the "c word" referred to conjunctivitis. Remember, not everyone on this website is a HA sufferer.

But trust your doctors - they will detect cancer much faster than you can. The reason is that your fears are based on old-fashioned symptoms that could mean just about anything.

However, the doctor's diagnosis is based on medical tests which are hundreds of times more accurate and specific.