PDA

View Full Version : Progabalin prescribed with anorexia (weight gain?)

Pineapplepie
20-02-15, 11:17
I suffer from GAD and anorexia (my bmi is on the borderline )
I have been on fluoxetine 40mg for 5 Months for the eating disorder and my psychiatrist has prescribed me progabalin for the anxiety.

He did not want to change my prozac to another anti depressants because of the weight gain side effects and I was honest about this and said any risk of weight gain/ body changes, I just would not take them.
However I have now found that a common side effect of progabalin is weight gain :(
I have only started this medication over the last 3 days, 25mg twice a day.

How likely is weight gain? Yesterday I had to try very hard to control my hunger pangs. I am awaiting help from eating disorder clinic, waiting list is huge :/ already been waiting for 5 Months. It's very hard to change my eating habits at the moment without help. But I'm terrified of gaining weight.
I previously had anorexia over 7 years ago which spiraled into bulimia when I lost will power to control what I ate.

I want to take the progabalin as my anxiety and panics sometimes have me shut off for days.

Any advice would be comforting

x

SmilingAlbert
20-02-15, 11:58
Hi Pineapple

you will feel hunger initially, but these are side effects that will wear off in a week or 2

you just need to be very disciplined about what you eat, what you have in the house, etc.

weight gain is common with Preg but it's not inevitable by any means...

good luck

Albert

hanshan
21-02-15, 02:38
Good luck with pregabalin. I have found it very helpful.

Compared with ADs, I don't think weight gain is an issue with pregabalin for most people. Otherwise, there would be lots of posts about it on NMP.

I don't think pregabalin will take you anywhere you don't want to go, after a couple of days adjusting to it.