PDA

View Full Version : Worried about lack of sleep

Stuckman
22-02-15, 13:03
Hello,

Over the past few days I have had very little sleep and I'm worried about how this will affect my health and ability to function during the day. I am going back to college next week and worried this will affect my learning.

At first I thought I couldn't sleep because one of the planks of my bed frame snapped which was uncomfortable, so my dad fixed it and that night I could still not get much sleep and was just lying awake for 5-6 hours. And another night I couldn't sleep because of my eczema so I had an antihistamine last night and I stopped scratching, but I still couldn't manage to fall asleep, until around 4-5 o clock and got around 4-5 hours sleep so that was better than nothing I guess.

But I tried listening to relaxing music and deep breathing to make myself fall asleep and other methods, but recently I have felt really stressed and my mind can't seem to shut down and I'm just tossing and turning for hours. I'm starting to get hallucinations like I'm spinning around and feel I can't function in the day. I'm worried I have got myself into a cycle and that I'm putting strain on my body, and all these thoughts stop me from getting a good nights sleep. This is only recent I have slept fine before I just want it to stop.

So I'm worried that the same thing will happen again tonight. Does anyone have any methods to fall asleep quick or ways which help you fall asleep if you have insomnia? I thought of trying to nap to make up the lost hours but I might not be able to sleep tonight if I do that. Also I feel like I am about to fall asleep in the night, but my brain recognises this and I'm so aware I end up not falling asleep. Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks!

23tana
22-02-15, 13:47
Hi. This happens to me every night unfortunately.I put on a cd of music my mind can sing along to. That stops me thinking of other things and I usually fall asleep before the end of the CD. Lavendar as a room spray or on your pillow might help.
Try not to nap if you can. As you say, it's even harder to get a good night's sleep then. It might be worth asking your doc for something short term to break the cycle and do mention the hallucinations. My doc told me not to worry about sleep - my body will always take what it needs.

Emilym80
22-02-15, 14:46
Hello,

Over the past few days I have had very little sleep and I'm worried about how this will affect my health and ability to function during the day. I am going back to college next week and worried this will affect my learning.

At first I thought I couldn't sleep because one of the planks of my bed frame snapped which was uncomfortable, so my dad fixed it and that night I could still not get much sleep and was just lying awake for 5-6 hours. And another night I couldn't sleep because of my eczema so I had an antihistamine last night and I stopped scratching, but I still couldn't manage to fall asleep, until around 4-5 o clock and got around 4-5 hours sleep so that was better than nothing I guess.

But I tried listening to relaxing music and deep breathing to make myself fall asleep and other methods, but recently I have felt really stressed and my mind can't seem to shut down and I'm just tossing and turning for hours. I'm starting to get hallucinations like I'm spinning around and feel I can't function in the day. I'm worried I have got myself into a cycle and that I'm putting strain on my body, and all these thoughts stop me from getting a good nights sleep. This is only recent I have slept fine before I just want it to stop.

So I'm worried that the same thing will happen again tonight. Does anyone have any methods to fall asleep quick or ways which help you fall asleep if you have insomnia? I thought of trying to nap to make up the lost hours but I might not be able to sleep tonight if I do that. Also I feel like I am about to fall asleep in the night, but my brain recognises this and I'm so aware I end up not falling asleep. Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks!

I think the most helpful things to do are getting a good amount of exercise during the day and eating well.

At night I usually drink some herbal tea before bed to help me relax. A shower helps, too. It's probably a good idea to stop using your computer/phone etc about an hour before bed.

Once you're actually trying to sleep, you shouldn't stay in bed for longer than 20 minutes without sleeping. If you can't sleep, get out of bed and do something else. I usually google 'boring things to read' and read them until I feel sleepy- it works surprisingly well! If you go back to bed and still can't sleep, get up again. This is important because you can start to associate your bed with other things than sleeping, but if you only use it for sleeping/intimacy it should be more natural to fall asleep in your bed.

I can't really think of anything else, so good luck :) and I wouldn't worry too much about the implications that missing out on sleep will have for your health if it's only for a few days.

Carnation
22-02-15, 15:23
Stuckman, do not worry about lack of sleep. I survive on 5-6 hours sleep every night.
Some of the most top politicians only have 4 hours and they have more than a full schedule in front of them the following day.
Napping during the day will not harm you. If your body wants to do that, then let it.
It will not affect your night-time, it is actually your state of Mind.
This is the time that you will think about stuff and it can keep you awake. Even if you are not aware of thinking about anything, your subconscious will still do that.

The worst thing you can do is to force it. Like someone else says, do not lie in bed too long, if you find you haven't gone to sleep in half an hour. Then get up and do something. Then go back to bed.
It sounds to me that your Fear is at it's worst at night-time.
So, what you can do is try an exercise, by closing your eyes and take yourself off in your Mind to somewhere pleasant; maybe a Holiday you enjoyed, an occasion or place you loved and take yourself on that journey taking in the colours, sounds, visual and so on. This does help a lot. :)

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

And a cup of Camomile Tea helps too before going to bed. :)

Steve1964
25-02-15, 00:55
It is good advice to get out of bed, and do something. I have been paralysed with anxiety tonight, and have got up, made a cup of tea, and come on this site. I will probably read a book, or something, and try to sleep later.

I have learned the hard way that the worse thing you can do is force it, because it doesn't work.

MrAndy
25-02-15, 09:40
I am a long term insomnia sufferer,every night I take magnesium and drink a cup of hot horlicks ,I now have no problem getting to sleep but still wake very early.You need to find a bedtime routine that works for you,going to bed early actually doesnt work,stay up until you are exhausted then go to bed.The usual advice on relaxation music ,meditation etc all help as well

Stuckman
25-02-15, 16:13
Thank you everyone for your replies, and have tried what you've suggested. Over the last few days I have found though that I still have insomnia, even if I read a book until I feel exhausted. I even had some Melatonin and although I felt tired, I couldn't fall asleep for some reason.. its like my body dosen't want to go to sleep but wants to at the same time, if that makes sense.
I only get 3-4 hours sleep each day (could be less) and as I have to get an early bus to college some days (tomorrow) and have to get up at 5:30/6 so I'm unable to catch up on lost sleep. This has had a big effect on my work and general motivation during the day. I also have mild aspergers and get obsessed with certain things, and worried that I have caught myself in a trap when it comes to going to bed and scared that I'm depriving myself of sleep every night. What can I do? I used to sleep very well around 8-9 hours and had the odd bad night. But now it has been every day so far.

Stuckman
25-02-15, 21:52
Does anyone have any more suggestions?

scared24
25-02-15, 22:40
I was homeless for 3 years and had a hour a night.if lucky on the streets. Eventually exhaustion will take over and you will need serious sleep to recover like. Hypnosis apps on headphones always work. Try darren marks. Fantastic

Serenity1990
26-02-15, 09:16
I've tried all the methods and all the medication and there's only two things I can really suggest. The first is Sainsburys Herbal Sleep Aid. This is an all-natural product and is cheap as chips, so I was dubious at first given the well known tablets never worked. However it's amazing stuff, works every time.

The second thing is lying on my back and meditating.

anthrokid
08-03-15, 03:46
I suffered insomnia in high school and remember sleeping only 2-3 hours a night most nights for a good year. Several years later and I could now sleep a full 24 hours if I let myself.

There are plenty of things you can try, it is just a matter of finding what works for you. Here are but a few suggestions.
1. Don't drink anything with caffeine
2. Don't eat after 8pm
3. Avoid watching high intensity television programs from at least an hour before bed
4. Avoid using your computer/tablet/mobile phone from at least an hour before bed (the brightness of the screen will activate your brain into staying awake)
5. Do NOT nap
6. Try having a hot bath in the evening to relax your body
7. Try some yoga or meditation in the evening to help you relax
8. Make sure you cannot see a clock in bed (checking the time and counting hours is only going to increase your worry about sleeping and in turn make it harder for you to sleep)
9. Try and get some exercise during the day to use up your energy
10. Try eating a larger lunch and a smaller dinner