PDA

View Full Version : Suffer from agoraphobia and unable to get to CBT?

Lupo74
23-02-15, 18:19
Hi

Disability and Equality act 2010

I suffer from agoraphobia and have waited over 7 months for a CBT appointment. Luckily last week I had someone to take me to my first assessment session at the NHS mental Heath place in the next town. However I can't rely on having someone to take me to future appointments.

My therapist was not very approachable or understanding and said that I'd have to practise driving to the appointment or go by bus. In my current state I could not do that. The journey is horrendous with traffic jams and road works and I would just freak out and doubt that I'd be safe driving. I would just freak out on the bus too.

If I was able to drive to the centre then I wouldn't need any treatment its a catch 22 situation.

I know that I need to be proactive in my CBT but I thought these things were done on a hierarchy and that maybe after several sessions I'd be able to tackle getting into town.

I have to cancel the next appointment but was warned I'd loose the session and only be left with 5 more sessions.

My point is that under the disability and equality act 2010 adequate provision needs to be made for a disabled person to use a service. I feel that I have not been offered any provision. I'd feel better if I could see my therapist at my local health centre or even a home visit. Could I appeal for this? Seen as agoraphobia IS a disability.

Im on ESA and Last year I was summoned to an interview at my jobcentre. I pointed out the disability and equality act and they were very helpful letting me have a more convenient appointment when someone could take me.

Is it worth telling the mental health place that? I don't want to wait another 7 months or be discharged.

23tana
23-02-15, 19:54
I know how you feel. I am in exactly the same position. There is no way I can drive alone to appointments or be in a fit state to drive back after the session.

It's worth a try asking for more convenient appointments, or home visits. Do let me know how you get on.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-15, 09:34
I think you need to understand which section of the Act is relevant.

If you read the 'Adjustments for disabled persons' in Part 2 Chapter 2, there are 3 requirements. The problem is, they compare a disabled person to a non disabled person which makes this section irrelevent since others attending appointments will have anxiety disorders but not necessarily agoraphobia.

What might work is Part 3 'Provision of services, etc' 29 (2) (c) by subjecting B to any other detriment.

It can be argued that asking an agoraphobic to essentially confront their fears just to attend the appointment, could fit this clause.

I'm not sure if there is anything else that applies without trawling through a load of it, just in case.

The thing is, hospitals are technically going to be doing the same thing. You have to get to them for tests, emergencies, etc. The same, may be applied to these centres and outposts that they rent out.

The question might be if the centre they use is not close to your area so travel is unreasonable which points to a lack of provision for services in your area.

You could try.

I think its harsh that they are so rigid and are unwilling to schedule sessions to fit your needs for some to accompany you. It seems that their service is not geared towards the service user, but to their own rigid bureaucratic management.

6 sessions is really short, if thats at Level 3 then thats one of the bad areas in the UK as it should be more 12-15 sessions. If its Level 2, then it compares to the 5 I had but they were telephone appointments (not my request, its just how they did it).

Therapists work via Skype thesedays or the telephone, they could do that.

Also, check out this thread http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=165976 because it seems there is a new service rolling out for 24hr telephone CBT. Because its all local trusts and CQC's, its not really a National Health Service, so it could take time to be rolled out to each region.