PDA

View Full Version : New here, possible panic attack?

Cykhet
24-02-15, 12:48
Hello all, I found this site through google while searching for heart palpitations and came across this community.

On to my story. I've been sick for about a week and a half I was told it's just a cold and for days I was coughing up this yellow nasty phlegm. Just recently that's seemed to subside, now the mucus is mostly white although I'm still coughing quite a bit. I was taking this over the counter cough suppressant called Delsym 12 hour.

Anyhow, I was lying in bed last night watching something on youtube and all of a sudden noticed my heart rate was accelerated and my vision briefly changed. (tunnel vision sort of thing) I felt a bit of a tingle throughout my body and I stood up really quick in a panic obviously not knowing what this was and feeling incredibly scared. I decided that I should try to take a warm shower to help.

While I'm in the shower my mind was spinning by that point and I was fixating on a bunch of negative things asking myself, "what could this be? am I ok?". A few minutes into the shower I got tunnel vision again and almost felt like I was going to pass out. I freaked out, turned the shower off and ran out to my roommate. At that point my heart felt like it was beating fairly fast but not racing. Just talking to him for a few minutes seemed to calm me down and literally no less than a few minutes later, my heart had seemingly returned to a normal rate. I felt incredibly drained and tired after the incident and am still a bit worried.

I'm trying to not let my mind spin on this again but since I've been sick I can't help but feel worried about this recent episode.

Anyhow, I was curious if anyone ever experiences those types of feelings / tunnel vision / tingling and heart palpitations when going through an anxiety attack.

Thanks for reading this and for any information you're able to provide.

Feels good to have found a place where I can write about this.

Carnation
24-02-15, 16:54
Sounds like you had a Panic Attack Cykhet.
They can be very frightening, but they always subside as quickly as they arrive.
There is a lot of information on these on this Site to help you. :)

Cykhet
24-02-15, 18:44
Thank you Carnation and yes they sure are frightening. It's amazing how powerful our brains are.