PDA

View Full Version : Moving out of parental home with anxiety

impossible
24-02-15, 21:34
So I'm 22, and have tried to move out twice - during my degree. Both times I became a wreck. This was due to a mix of things. I would hide in my room because I was in a shared dorm and became scared of seeing anyone. I felt homesick, and missed my home and family. I don't deal with change well at all. I ended up moving home and doing a four hour round trip to uni every day.

Anyway, fast forward. I have my degree now, and I'm doing a postgrad course. I am now looking for jobs to start in September. Trouble is there are not many close to me, at least not commutable, so I think realistically if I want a job I will have to move out and move away.

I would be quite happy to live at home with my parents forever if I could. Not only does it avoid the change that I fear, but I have an unnatural attachment to my parents. My counsellor thinks that this is because of my rocky family situation, which has led to me feeling as if I am the only thing holding the family together. I definitely think that is true. My parents are only together because of me, and without sounding arrogant, I really do hold them and the household together. I worry about what would happen if I left. I fear I would feel as if I need to go home and check all the time.

I don't know what to do. There are jobs coming up in cities I'd love to live and work in, but I'm not applying for any that I feel I would have to move out for. It scares me a lot, and the job will mentally take it out of me, without balancing a new job and a new place. That is a lot of change for someone who doesn't adapt well.

Sorry that this is a lot of info. If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful.

theharvestmouse
24-02-15, 21:58
It doesn't sound a great situation to be in if you feel like your the only one holding the family together. That shouldn't be your responsibility. How will you ever make your own life if you stay just for the sake of your parents?

I don't think it's a good thing to not want to ever leave home. When I moved out it changed how I saw everything.