PDA

View Full Version : Peak flow meter?

zippy
25-02-15, 12:50
Anyone used one of these? Just been doctors about my back/shoulder ache and she made me use this but i don't know what the reading was. It didn't go right down to the bottom so i am panicking. She is sending me for a chest x ray but says she isn't worried but for peace of mind, she said she wouldn't do it for anyone else.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-15, 13:04
It doesn't have to go all the way, it has to be usable by everyone and those who get a lot of exercise will be able to generate more power due to their increased cardiovascular ability.

There is a range on a peak flow that tells the doctor if your breathing is reduced to a sufficient point to determine things like asthma which along with your description of symptoms they would use to make a diagnosis (don't worry though, you wouldn't be having a chest xray for that. They would also tell you if they suspected that anyway).

Don't worry about it (I know that's hard). Sometimes we get things like excess fluid build ups and these things are very easy to resolve with basic treatments so it could be something that is commonly had by many and treated with no more importance than a basic infection.

She isn't worried and if she was, she could easily fast track an xray or send you up on a GP referral for assessment if she thought it was an emergency.