PDA

View Full Version : A new worry... looking for some reassurance :(

KayeS
25-02-15, 14:05
So 4 weeks ago to the day... I kind of stuffed myself with food, force fed being a more accurate description as I was desperate to get back into my training regime and wanted to fit in my 5th meal of the day even though I had eaten a very big meal out with friends a few hours earlier. Anyway, that night I woke up with intense acid like pain in my chest and my back. Following that, I felt like I had basically damaged my oesophagus for the next week and could only swallow small sips of water and very soft food. I was really worried about this but after a week or so it seemed to subside. During that time by the way, I felt like I had a constant urge to burp all the time, and swallowing felt like it was straining my throat all the way down.

So anyway, it's 4 weeks on, and I can swallow fine now, that side of things got better, however for a couple of weeks now I've been experiencing an intermittent pain in my stomach. It's sort of just under the left rib in the area where the stomach is. It comes and goes and on a scale of 1-10 the pain is about a 5. But it's worrying me because it doesn't seem to be going. Also again I keep feeling like I need to burp all the time, and every time I swallow, my stomach gurgles as whatever I swallow (even just saliva) enters it.

I went to the GP today who ordered blood tests for all sorts and I gave a stool sample. He also prescribed me Omeprazole for the acid. I'm just really worried it's something serious. I don't even want to mention the word but you know what I mean. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I can just feel myself going into a panic about this again :(

By the way I have been taking Oxytetracycline for the last few months for acne. I took it for a year prior to this, then stopped for a few months, but I've been back on it for a few months now.... I don't know if maybe that is the cause... I didn't experience any of this the last time I took it though :/

worrieseverywhere
01-03-15, 20:30
Hello :) I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better! But please remember there are so many other things it can be before the dreaded word! My guess would be it is something to do with your eating you mentioned, seems a little coincidental otherwise. Hope your results come back okay x

herbie73
02-03-15, 19:19
Hi there, the medication you are on, does cause gastrointestinal side effects, it says that it can cause inflammation of the gullet and difficulty swallowing, so I think maybe its the meds you are on plus anxiety making it worse, medication can cause side effects even if you haven't had any b.before when taking it, please try to not worry, I honestly think you are fine. Herbie xx