PDA

View Full Version : Went to docs

Jono
16-01-07, 12:40
Hi all,

I have a really bad chest infection at the moment and feel really ill.

So i went to the doctor's, and while i was there told him about my breathing problems.

He said this was "Air Hunger" and said the proper term was

"Globus .............." (Can't remember)

But the thing that worried me, is i think he said something like it only happens at stressful times?

But i mean, Its all the time for the past year, not just stressful times?

I could of misheard him though.

So anyway, he basically said i was fine, didn't test me or anything, just told me what it was.

He said it was common for my age group (im 17), and i will grow out of it.

The questions i wanted to ask everyone please was..

1. Is it "normal" to feel out of breath and concentrate on breathing all the time, not just in stressful times?

2. I get of breath alot, but sometimes i'm not out of breath, and im just ALWAYS consciously controlling my breathing.

Do you think i have imprinted something on my memory so i am always thinking about it and consciously controlling it??

Thanks alot for reasuring me.

-Jono

seeker
16-01-07, 13:04
Hello,
I think when you first suffer anxiety it is common to worry a lot about your breathing, and it seems like you are conscious of it all the time. I find it helpful to do distracting things, like vigorous exercise, or phoning somebody up or watcing a film. Something that means you are breathing without thinking about it - I like exercise the best as it proves to me that I can breath normally!! I don't think you have reprogrammed your memory or anything like that - I thinnk maybe you have too much time on your hands and can think about it lots! I don't mean this in a nasty way, I just mean that my anxiety improved a lot when I got my first full time job, and I basically didn't have nearly as much time to think about my worries so much!

Hope this helps to reassure you. The globus hystericus that your doctor mentioned can be present for months at a time. It just means that the muscles in your thraot tense, and you feel this as a lump - it can't do you any harm at all.
Seeker

Jono
16-01-07, 13:15
Hi Seeker,

Thanks for the really helpful post mate.

The thing i worry about abit is also, that the doctor said i should get pins and needles in my fingers, and tightness in my fingers.

Well i don't really get that at all anymore.

I used to get it last year, not that many times though?

I used to have really bad panic attacks, felt cold, shaking.

The only time i get that now is when i go to places i don't really go often, docs for instance.

i used to get it when i went to the football (Big wrexham fan)

But im fine there now because i go literally every week.

But yeah, i used to suffer badly from anxiety, but now i just have this breathing problem.

I was just wondering though.

Is there anyway that the doctor has missed what i really have? is it possible i could have like a really bad disease?

That's the only thing im really scared of like.

By the way mate,

When i watch a film i get panic attacks for some reason lol.

seeker
16-01-07, 13:21
Well, it sounds like you are managing to overcome your anxiety, actually - it's a good sign that you don't get the numbness and pins and needles. this means that you are managing to control your breathing and so your carbon dioxide levels are as they should be. If you have a bad chest infection, it will undoubtedly make breathing more difficult! Has your doc put you on antibiotics? If you are producing green/yellow phlegm (excuse the manky details!) in great quantities, then you should get some antibiotics and some expectorant cough medicine to help you get rid of it all. My doc once gave me an inhalor when I had a particularly nasty chest infection, too, as he said I had very slight asthma, caused by the infection. It all cleared up when the infection went away.

Jono
16-01-07, 13:28
Im quite worried about the pins and needles thing though,

Because last year i got them maybe only once or tiwce?

Now i don't get them at all and still feel as bad as last year.

That's why i think i maybe have a disease or something.

Because i don't, and never really got them kind of symptoms

But i don't know.

Yeah he gave me, 500G of Ammoxcillin

seeker
16-01-07, 13:43
Well, I think if you take the antibiotics exactly as prescirbed - no booze with them, wither as that stops them working as well, and finish the whole course (crucially important), then your breathing will probably get better, too. Am quite sure you don't have an awful illness - did the doc test you for asthma at all? Are you genuinely breathless (ie can you not walk fast, or up stairs, or run), or do you just feel breathless? Read through the starting out sections of no more panic and you will see why you might be feeling breathless.

Jono
16-01-07, 13:48
I was tested for Asthma a few months ago when i saw another doctor.

I had very mild Asthma but never used it.

I'm quite unfit lol, (not fat :P), But ive ALWAYS been like that, way before i had my breathing problems.

Im fine walking fast, and walking up stairs, and can run aswel without getting properly out of breath.

I only feel breathless at the moment.

I can feel the difference between proper out of breath and feeling breatless.

so i don't think i have a problem in that aspect.

belle
16-01-07, 14:18
Jono..
The pins and needles that you mention are from where you are over breathing causing yourself to hyperventilate.

Hope this helps..

In medicine, hyperventilation (or hyperpnea) is the state of breathing faster and deeper (hyper) than necessary, thereby reducing the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood below normal. This causes various symptoms such as numbness or tingling in the hands, feet and lips, lightheadedness, dizziness, headache, chest pain, slurred speech and sometimes fainting.

A couple of years ago when i was at the "height" of my anxiety and panic attacks i would suffer from EXTREME breathlessness, IE. Walking up the stairs would cause me to actually collapse at the top, getting up and walking to the otherside of the room would have me gasping for air!! I had numerous tests and they found absolutely nothing wrong. (I'm neither overweight or that unfit...lol)

If you are still worried in a week or so, go back to your doctors...

Sarah

Jono
16-01-07, 14:27
Hi Sarah,

That's the thing, i don't actually get that symptom,

Which is kind of a worry,

Although i do get other symptoms such as chest tightness, lightheadedness etc.

Your story has reassured me alot.

I thought i was really bad but that must of been awful.

Ive never fainted or anything.

belle
16-01-07, 15:10
The first time i experienced hyperventilating was back in 1992 long long before i suffered with any kind of anxiety issues. I was at work, had a row with my boyfriend and i passed out....because i overbreathed, ended up in AE!!!

russ
16-01-07, 17:49
Hi Jono, just wanted to add my comments.

Don't worry that you are not getting all the symptoms you "should". We are each different, some get some symptoms of anxiety, but it doesn't mean you "have" to get them all.

Did your doctor say 'Globus Hystericus'?

This sensation may result from frequent swallowing and drying of the throat associated with anxiety or other emotional states. Sometimes it is caused by the muscles in the throat contracting due to anxiety or stress, that is what I have read and been told. I've had this feeling on and off for ages, the more you think about it the worse you get.

I've also become anxious on my breathing and heart rate, this is part of anxiety. The more you monitor, the worse the issue.

But like you, ask me if I'm anxious and I'd say no. However, if the doctor has ruled out other causes, then isn't our body phsyically telling us we are anxious, probably because we have ignored the emotional response?

As for being out of breath, are you really out of breath? I've always thought being out of breath is a physical thing you cannot control? The body is alive to breath, if it was struggling you would have surely had worse issues? Like you say, if you can run and not struggle when the body is working harder, why phsyically would you at rest?

You can always get a second opinion and ask to see another doctor, and i'm not belittling anxiety, it is the pits, but we all have one thing in common here, having seen the docs we are probably more healthy than many others.

Try playing a computer game or something when you notice yourself monitoring your breathing, if you get into something I bet you will find in 10 minutes you haven't monitored youself and feel much better.

Lindalou64
16-01-07, 18:42
I AGREE WITH RUSS NOT ALL THE TIME WILL YOU GET THE SAME SYMPTOMS..I KNOW FOR ME JUST SOMETIMES IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD THE WHAT IFS LIKE AM I BREATHING RIGHT IT WILL BE THERE OTHER TIMES PINS AND NEEDLES AND NUMBNESS BUT NOTHING ELSE I THINK WHEN YA A LITTLE ANXIOUS OR THE THOUGHT JUST ENTERS THE MIND ...........WISH YA THE BEST...........LINDA[8D]

KelJ
17-01-07, 13:53
Hi Jono,

I know exactly what your talking about, i dont get "Typical" panic symptoms. But i always get a strange breathless sensation. Not hyperventilation, just an odd feeling of not breathing correctly.