PDA

View Full Version : Caught Up in Worst Case Scenario Thoughts Again...

pantheraonca
27-02-15, 08:11
Hi everyone,

Just needed to get this out, as I posted on here during a health anxiety flare up at the end of last year and found it really therapeutic - managed to get a handle on that particular concern shortly thereafter.

My anxiety tends to come in waves. I'll be fine for long stretches, but then some scary scenario will seem to catch on and it just spirals from there. I'm generally not able to move on until I've got some kind of guarantee that my fears are unfounded.

I'm going through this right now. A few weeks back, a particularly scary scenario managed to latch on in my head. It's one of those ones where it's probably highly unlikely, but by the same token I can see a series of events that make logical sense occurring, bringing it to reality. Essentially, my head is pretty murky on whether I actually have any cause for concern on this one.

I try to dig deeper than the anxiety and get to my gut feeling, which I'm pretty sure is telling me that everything will work out just fine. It's very hard to trust in that though, when my anxiety keeps insisting that I'm in danger.

I'm working towards that guarantee that I always need, and I can remove myself from the situation - it'll just take somewhere between 5 and 10 weeks. The thought of feeling this way for the next 5 to 10 weeks is not pleasant and I don't know how I'm going to get through it. My anxiety seems to have increased a lot in the last 3 days or so, and I'm worried that that pattern will continue.

I guess I'm just posting to see if anyone can give me some pointers of how to stay sane for the next 5 - 10 weeks. Or if anyone has any surefire ways of defogging their head so they can see the reality of the situation a bit clearer? Or even a tale of a time their gut feeling that everything was going to be okay, despite their anxiety telling them that their worst fears were a certainty, turned out to be correct.

Thanks all.

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-15, 08:24
Hi,

If you want some methods to try and counter the thoughts then perhaps a Thought Record or some Cognitive Restructuring might help? This way you write down your fear, rate it and then use counter arguments, a conclusion and a new rating (they vary by design).

Since there are different ones, I won't do as I normally do and attach the odd one I think most fits what someone is asking, and provide a link to the list of techniques:

http://psychology.tools/download-therapy-worksheets.html

The ones I mentioned above seem to be what you asking for, and I guess they make sense for HA sufferers to try to rationlise it all, but have a look at the rest, there are some really useful tools on there and they are free to use (a few of the audios are chargeable though).

Beyond that, what about trying Mindfulness? There are loads of studies about how it helps with anxiety and depression and the main UK form is now NICE approved for reoccurrent depression and they only approve based on accepted medical evidence.