PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else believe they won't live past 30/40?

Rls1994
28-02-15, 22:45
This is obviously a thread for people around my age (20). I just feel like I won't live past that age because of all the health problems I keep getting. I keep getting infections, have chronic acid reflux disease and... well, just generally think I won't live past 30 or 40. I know it's stupid but I can't help feeling this way.

Anyone else relate?

RedXIII
28-02-15, 23:12
I'm 25 and I highly doubt I will see 26 most of the time. If I see 26 it is going to be a big deal.... but I thought that when I was 17 to... and I made it almost 10 years lol.

Strovbe
01-03-15, 00:29
I'm only 19 and i really feel like i wont make it to 21.

cpe1978
01-03-15, 10:47
Imagine how depressing it will be when you get to 40 and you look back and realise how many years you have spent worrying.

At 20, now is the time to deal with this and avoid your early adult years worrying unnecessarily.

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-15, 11:33
Imagine how depressing it will be when you get to 40 and you look back and realise how many years you have spent worrying.

At 20, now is the time to deal with this and avoid your early adult years worrying unnecessarily.

Absolutely!

I agree totally with this, not only the fact you will be looking back but the more you approach later ages (30, 35, 40, etc) you will start to compound your problems as you add all the things you miss out at each stage eg you start thinking about family in your thirties, your lack of a financial security in later life, missing out on grandchildren or your parents missing out in that way, etc.

I'm a very firm believer in how anxiety disorders become more entrenched the longer they are left. I think therapy has to get to people as it starts because its a hell of a lot easier to treat early on. You have all the panic and questions in your head but you don't have the ingrained behavioural issues that develop. It makes sense because it's learnt behaviour and the science, neuroplasticity, works on reinforcement & retraining and we all know how avoidance reinforces our disorders.

The longer its left, the more the chance of developing further characteristics eg more Cognitive Distortions, comorbid forms, additional physical issues that result from poor lifestyle that you will then incorporate into your anxiety, etc.

RedXIII said it, still here. So, you will still be here in another 9 years. How you spend the next 9 years though, thats firmly your choice.

izzybizzy
01-03-15, 14:10
Me to, I am obsessed with 25, I see it everwhere, I am 25 and convinced myself I would die before 26, it effects me everyday trying to avoid the number, but I know I've just trained my brain to look for it and freak out, I don't freak out when I see other numbers, it's hard with health anxiety it really is, but I'm sure there are lots of us who feel the same.

Much love x

Fishmanpa
01-03-15, 14:31

Absolutely!

I agree totally with this, not only the fact you will be looking back but the more you approach later ages (30, 35, 40, etc) you will start to compound your problems as you add all the things you miss out at each stage eg you start thinking about family in your thirties, your lack of a financial security in later life, missing out on grandchildren or your parents missing out in that way, etc.

I'm a very firm believer in how anxiety disorders become more entrenched the longer they are left. I think therapy has to get to people as it starts because its a hell of a lot easier to treat early on. You have all the panic and questions in your head but you don't have the ingrained behavioural issues that develop. It makes sense because it's learnt behaviour and the science, neuroplasticity, works on reinforcement & retraining and we all know how avoidance reinforces our disorders.

The longer its left, the more the chance of developing further characteristics eg more Cognitive Distortions, comorbid forms, additional physical issues that result from poor lifestyle that you will then incorporate into your anxiety, etc.

RedXIII said it, still here. So, you will still be here in another 9 years. How you spend the next 9 years though, thats firmly your choice.

So true! I equate anxiety disorder left untreated to a co-dependent relationship. Anxiety being the abuser in the equation. The victim having become fully entrenched in the relationship stays regardless of the abuse. They know deep down they should get help but hang onto it hoping things will get better but the reality is they won't.

IMO, it goes deeper than that for many of the same reasons that co-dependency brings out. Self esteem issues, depression etc. Issues that are deep rooted.

As MNIT said, therapy to explore the behaviors, modify through behavioral changes, learning coping skills etc.

The reality is, those that feel they won't make it past 30 or 40 most certainly will and all those years of worrying will take a much greater toll on your life.

Positive thoughts

fionanex
01-03-15, 17:02
This is exactly how I feel. Every Christmas I get sad looking at my happy family and believing I won't be there the next year. This happens every year!

Daniele_T
01-03-15, 17:27
At what age will you give a sigh of relief and stop worrying?

Likelihood is that you won't until you can just accept the thought and move onward.
If you could tell me the winning lottery numbers for next week that will be great thanks.

At the hospital where I work is a lovely doctor named Kate Grainger.
She has terminal cancer and was diagnosed a few years ago.
She knows she could die at any time and still gets to work everyday and has even won awards for starting a national campaign to better the services of all hospitals in the UK.

Perhaps she is exceptional and she certainly deserves a medal but ask yourself how the heck she does it?

By accepting that such thoughts exist and just letting them be what they are...thoughts.

cpe1978
01-03-15, 20:47
#hellomynameis

mnaha
02-03-15, 00:07
I just knew for a fact that I would not live past 25 .. For years before I got to that age I knew deep down. I was even hospitalized for over a month with blacking out and dehydration and they ran every test imaginable and sent me home to have therapy saying nothing wrong with me.. Now at 60 ..it is pretty weird.. never planned on living this long so . .. I guess I was wrong about 25.. Funny thing is most people that think that they won't live long end up dying in their 90's of old age..

MyNameIsTerry
02-03-15, 08:31
#hellomynameis

Hello CPE, hope you are well? :emot-wave:

---------- Post added at 08:31 ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 ----------

So true! I equate anxiety disorder left untreated to a co-dependent relationship. Anxiety being the abuser in the equation. The victim having become fully entrenched in the relationship stays regardless of the abuse. They know deep down they should get help but hang onto it hoping things will get better but the reality is they won't.

IMO, it goes deeper than that for many of the same reasons that co-dependency brings out. Self esteem issues, depression etc. Issues that are deep rooted.

As MNIT said, therapy to explore the behaviors, modify through behavioral changes, learning coping skills etc.

The reality is, those that feel they won't make it past 30 or 40 most certainly will and all those years of worrying will take a much greater toll on your life.

Positive thoughts

Totally agree FMP.

Thats a good example.

I think unless you take that holistic approach and look for the underlying factors like lacking self confidence, self worth & self esteem issues, fulfullment, etc then you can be laying the groundwork for later relapse.

Whatever we do to escape this, we have to keep it going so we don't slip backwards again.

cpe1978
02-03-15, 16:09
Good thanks MNIT - frantically busy at work but all good. How are you?

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 07:15
I'm doing well thanks CPE.

Thats a normal day in the NHS isn't it?!

AthenaFaeyrn
03-03-15, 16:37
When I was about 16, I never, never thought I would live to see 20. When I was 20, I never thought I'd make it past 25. I'm here now at 27.. with no idea how I made it even just this far.

I'm trying to see a future in me, but I fear for my mental health at times more than my physical health. The reality is that I have been to hospital only once, for something physical, which was a very bad urine infection. The rest of the time, I have been to GPs, hospitals, etc.. all for psychological issues.

Trying to push my irrationalities aside, it is my psychological health the most puts my longevity in jeopardy.