PDA

View Full Version : Are these panic attacks? Please help!

adidas
01-03-15, 10:11
Hi, I'm 37 old, male, in otherwise good health so far. I'm a public speaker and while I do have a history of being considered a very 'tense' and 'high strung' person, I never had the below before. I'm desperate for help.

In the last four weeks I have suddenly developed the following symptoms. I have seen 4 GPs so far and have had a clear brain MRI. However, no one diagnosed me with anything: they just send me home recommending to 'take time for myself and do some meditation and exercise', yet this 'condition', whatever it might be, is literally ruining my life (I can't work, I can't have fun, I can't do anything).

Thank God for the Internet I found this site and would like this community's expert opinion as to wether or not I'm suffering from anxiety or panic attacks, based on the following symptoms:

During the worst of it (comes on suddenly, for no particular reason, last approx 4-6 hours):
- feeling visually overwhelmed: a distinct feel that there are too many objects to focus on. I find that displays in supermarkets are particularly bad, but even outside too many trees or plants or patterns on the ground quickly lead me to feel completely overwhelmed. I want to close my eyes or look at something simple, like the sky or a blank wall.
- feeling faint / nauseous / tunnel vision (but without vomiting). This is a terrible feel of weakness, with everything around me feeling far away all of a sudden, as if i was about to be ill, as if i was about to faint.
- confusion. This ranges from a minor feeling of not knowing where things might be, to not understanding what people are telling me, as if i didn't understand english anymore, as if their voices were too far. Orienting myself is very difficult.
- sudden, extreme irritability and combativeness. Everyone feels like they are overwhelming me. I have this instinct to run away from everyone. It's very upsetting because i'm usually a very social and happy guy.
- the floor below me feels like it's shifting. While i'm aware the room is not moving, I feel a lack of balance, as if i was walking on a trampoline. I'm scared to fall, and I hang on to objects even though it's likely unnecessary.
- weak, cold limb extremities: particularly fingers. Weakness in my arms.
- a sudden, urgent need to go to the restroom, repeatedly
- dull pressure around the temples and behind the eyes, varying in intensity. Initially the headaches were concerning me the most but in the last few days it's actually an afterthought, considering how overwhelming the other symptoms are.

At all times:
- post nasal drip: Like a sinusitis, but i have no sinusitis. Clear phlegm falls down at the back of my throat. All day long.
- underlying sense of anxiety, fearing the above, more intense symptoms will come back.
- dissociation: lasted most of last week, thankfully gone now. That was probably the worse feeling. It's as if I was watching a movie of myself and being in someone else's body. I know how it sounds, and it's so upsetting when it happens it scares me to bits. I'm please this hasn't come back, because it felt like going insane, it was really terrible.

However I DO NOT have:
- a fast heart rate: My BPM is between 80-90, during the attacks it doesn't move
- abnormal blood pressure: my blood pressure is completely normal, better than average in fact
- temperature: my body temp is completely normal at all times.
- low or high blood sugar: everything is normal
- brain/ear/sinus issues: according to the MRI, all these are normal (no fluid in ears, sinus are clear, brain is healthy)

I can tell the people on this forum are very knowledgeable about these things, so I'd really appreciate any help, but more importantly if someone could say to me 'ah yeah, you have panic attacks, no doubt', it would really be a great relief (in my head i'm worried about all sorts of things, like going insane). Also if anyone has the same symptoms I'd like to hear i'm not the only on in the world :) Or what to tell / ask my GP, or what strategies to implement to stop the above.

The reason I'm not sure I have panic attacks is because being 'visually overwhelmed' doesn't seem to be something common in panic attacks, the fact that if feel unwell above most of the day (panic attacks from what i read come and go), and the fact that I do not have a fast heart rate even at the worse of them.

Thank you a million, million times in advance.

Its-so-fluffy
08-03-15, 19:29
Hello there,

I will be honest some of your symptoms fit and others clearly do not. I'm sure you've more than likely already hit up Google and checked the normal panic attack symptoms. Have you considered 2 conditions hitting you at once? I would urge the doctors to maybe look at the symptoms separately?

I was going to say possible you are over sensitised to adrenaline, it fits the symptoms of being overwhelmed by sensory Input, but might not fit your heart staying steady.

Maybe try the standard treatments for anxiety and see where it takes you?

Best of wishes

swgrl09
08-03-15, 23:00
A lot of that could be panic attacks. The most important thing is that you said 4 doctors have checked you out so you KNOW it is not something terrible. If they are telling you to go home, meditate, take time for yourself I am guess it is anxiety and panic related. Have you been to a therapist or psychiatrist? As a community, we can't provide an expert opinion but can steer you in the right direction for help.

Have you asked your GP if it is anxiety flat out? There are links on this page to symptoms of anxiety and panic and many might fit with what you are going through.

I have post-nasal drip all day every day and I have a dust, mold, and cat allergy - all of which are in my home. So your post-nasal drip could be something as simple as that. I don't know.

kareem
09-03-15, 09:52
Going to rest room repeatedly - I have done this so many times. It is the fight or flght situation.
overwhelmed by people - Again this is another symptom that I can associate with.
High strung - same thing in social situations

What you had is more anxiety than panic, but what triggered it? this is the important question.

Have you had any change of habbits lately like food, medicine or anything else
did you have any relation - romantic problems?

Or any other trigger that will give you these symptoms.
Public speaking is my worst nightmares - so you are lucky to be able to do that

good luck and hope you will get over it

Miss lexx
09-03-15, 23:09
Hiya,

Ok so most of the problems you suffer I have suffered and what you describe as being visually overwhelmed I get this also. Although I don't think its related to panic attacks in particular it is related to my anxiety. As in when my anxiety is high it feels like everything is closing in on me like there is too much going on around me. I done some research on the as it bothered me a lot and found that when your anxiety levels are high the muscles behind your eyes can be effected (they tighten) therefor your vision seems I have to say odd. Like that symptom and the rest you described I've had them all and like you my heart rate is normal so is my blood pressure and that is because mine is related to my anxiety not my panic attack ( to completely different thing ) when I have a panic attack I go hot my heart beats fast and I go to the toilet. This is know as the fight or flight response. Anyway it sounds to me like your symptoms are related to anxiety although i am not a doctor therefor can't diagnosis. You should return to your doctor and ask him what he thinks about your symptoms and why you are having them because they shouldn't leave you confused as to why you are feeling the way you are that will only feed the anxiety and make things worse. Hope you feel better soon and feel free to inbox me if you want a chat about your symptoms x

Daniele_T
10-03-15, 11:45
Wow the visually overwhelmed thing..havent had that for ages thank god and this only just reminded me I used to get it.

All of what is described can be and often is caused by anxiety.
I'm not saying other things can't cause it but definitely anxiety can cause them.

You mention Heart rate and blood pressure as normal..they likely should be imo.
80-90 is not a slow heart rate by the way unless you're walking around or stood up or it's early morning.

My resting heart rate is 55 and my blood pressure is 110/70..during a properly full on panic attack my heart rate is between 90-110 and my blood pressure can be 130/80 so you probably won't see massive increases of the type people scare you with.

I'm also 37 btw so don't be thinking im an 18 year old super athlete.
I used to be though ;)

Anyways, you also don't have to be having a full on panic attack to feel anxiety and panic symptoms, just one bad attack leaves me feeling disoriented and further agitated for days even a week or more.
The little drip drop of adrenalin from aprehension and just general anxiety of a situation and it's accompanying negative thoughts can lead you on a spiraling path for ages!

Knowing that you have anxiety and not a fatal illness is a nice little boost but anxiety is an illness and also needs constant attention and care to many people.
It can be chronic in it's duration but the good news is that you can manage it.

I find self hypnosis and meditation really do work well.
I've recently downloaded Audible and been listening to Steven Gurgevich's self hypnosis downloads.

Definitely try some form of relaxation alone and try to relax...you will probably need a week of calm to really notice the symptoms you describe go away and feel normal again.
For truly fast results do some exercise and use up the adrenalin that's over hogged your system.

All the best
Daniele

Ditapage
15-03-15, 06:02
I experience just about all your symptoms during an attack or just a high anxiety level.

Feeling visually overwhelmed: YES. Most of my worst attacks were in public places where a lot is going on. Big malls with bright lighting and big signs will really set me off. I recall one time where I was in a coffee shop having a bad attack and there was people everywhere and I nearly asked the barrister if I could come behind the counter and sit under there til I calmed down! Another time I had one at the movies and the screen was suddenly enormous and watching the people onscreen was so overwhelming. I had to stand up the back to handle it. I think feeling overwhelmed by surroundings is entirely normal with panic, anxiety. It's simply hypervigilance, your mind is scanning the area for dangers and your body is reacting like there really is one. I was told to combat this by focusing on one object and REALLY notice it, ie "the red chair. It looks like it's made out of plastic. It has 4 legs, etc." It's a distraction technique I suppose. My hypervigilant state is so intense that if somebody moves near me or I hear a loud sudden sound, I jump or feel a vibration. The hypervigilance is what is making you feel awful/overwhelmed.

Feeling faint/nausea: this is absolutely anxiety/panic. I relate to the weakness. It's like tiredness but way more intense. Some of my worst attacks began with this 'tiredness' sometimes having a sugary snack helps immediately but if I'm already starting to really panic, it just needs to ride itself out.

Irritability: yep! In a big way. I too experience that everyone is irritating and I want to run away. Classic anxiety. We can't help it, anxiety is awful and we are feeling awful. It's just that your mind is speeding up and suddenly your 'medical emergency' is all that matters. If I start feeling anxious in the middle of someone telling me some long story, I just want to yell "shut up" even though it's completely out of character for me.

I have the weakness/coldness in limbs, one of my attacks was preceded by chills. Other times it's feeling hot. And the restroom.. Anxiety definitely has an effect on the digestive system and all that..I've heard of people with anxiety who were specifically terrified of needing the toilet right away. That's not unusual for anxiety.

Finally the temple pressure.. I get that. It sometimes shifts to my behind my ear or back of my head to the right. Eyestrain is common with anxiety because the eyes are nerves. I sometimes feel like my eyes want to burst out of my head.

Ange1
15-03-15, 10:40
I've had pretty much all of your symptoms too even the nasal drip. I seem to get that every morning when the anxiety is high. The adrenalin surge in my stomach first thing causes a release of histamine which causes the nose to run and any existing sinus problem to flare up. I had a bad attack 4 days ago and I still feel a bit jittery today but much better and my nose wasn't running! Xx

Carnation
15-03-15, 12:58
Adidas, I would say it sounds more like Anxiety symptoms than a Panic Attack.

In the past, I have suffered all of those that you have mentioned.
It also sounds like you have a bit of Health Anxiety thrown in to the mix.
You need to get more rest, change your routine slightly and some gentle exercise.
Try not to take on anything more stressful for the time being.
Your Brain needs a rest, so give it what it wants. :)

witsend
15-03-15, 23:17
I can completely relate to all the symptoms you describe - I've had them all day today myself. Earlier for instance, I felt overwhelmed by all the things in my bathroom cabinet. I simply couldn't focus on the toothpaste I was looking for, even though it was right in front of me.

My heart doesn't race either, which sometimes makes me question whether it's anxiety. I mean, how can I feel so tense without my heart rate increasing? I can't answer that, but every other symptom I have can only be anxiety related. For instance, I go to the gym most days and my legs are pretty strong, yet during an episode I go weak at the knees, and can barely walk. Can I really have lost the ability to walk after 40 years, of course not. It's just my mind feeling overwhelmed.

Anxiety can be very frightening, very unpleasant, and very undermining. Something that can help, is that each time you detect a symptom, to remind yourself that it's only an unhelpful thought, not real, and can't harm you.

In addition to the forum here, try reading up on anxiety. The better you understand it, the better you can cope with it - on a good day at least!

Hope this helps.
W

adidas
16-12-15, 00:39
So this is my update as promised, 9 months later (I'm the OP).

I hope this helps someone. If it helps even one person I'll be happy :)

I can't believe it's been 9 months. It was difficult to re-read my post - I remembered particular episodes - like how my Valentine day was ruined because i felt 'oppressed' so badly I had to excuse myself to go outside two or three times. Madness.

Take it from me, "Panic Attacks" are a misnomer. It should really be called something else, as they are disabling, so much so that I genuinely can't believe I went through 2 months of that back in Feb/March and didn't end up in the loony bin or worst. I was panicking in restaurants, to the point i was unable to eat outside anymore, and I also got terrified of walking down busy aisles at my supermarket, which was so absurd, so ridiculous, so surreal, that it made me anxious in itself. Welcome to the negative feedback loop. It's hell.

So what happened? Well, it's been a long road. First, I tried therapy. It was helpful, but was even more helpful was the stash of Valium I was able to acquire without a prescription. I'm an honest guy, and not suicidal, so I told my doctor, who wasn't too thrilled but helped me maintain at 2.5 to 5mg day, by explaining to me the consequences of my actions.

Note to self: if your symptoms suddenly quiet down after you take valium, it's the sure fire way to know you suffer from panic attacks. If you, like me, also get a feeling of elation from using just 2.5mg, it's your body feeling what's it's like not to be in fight or flight mode 24/7. I know, strange feeling hey? You got in to that state slowly, like in the story of the frog being boiled and yet not jumping.

Anyway, eventually I must have realized that taking valium wasn't going to cut it. Yes, it was a god send not to feel like I was about to die for no reason whatsoever, but at the same time, it was also pretty clear that like any other drugs, a) that stuff wears off b) you have to take more and more to feel the same as the first time.

Ironically, I was willing to take dodgy valium but was scared of SSRI (self-medication felt 'safe'). But eventually my therapist realized I was too far gone for CBT to take hold, and I accepted my doctor's offer to go see a psychiatrist. Dum Dum Dum! I was no proud.

... But boy did that change my life for the better. No, 7.5 mg of escitalopram and 500mg pregabalin/day is not the recipe to happiness and an anxiety-free life. But it did one thing I couldn't have done without the SSRIs: It stabilized me. Not like the valium, which basically was prone to abuse, but in a responsible, face your problems head on sort of way.

It's been probably 4.5 months now, and something wonderful happened 2 days ago: I felt fear for the first time in a while. I say it was wonderful, because it was justified: someone I love got themselves hurt (thankfully they are ok now). To be able to have the feeling of fear in the right moment for the right reason is actually a useful human trait. But having felt it, I remembered that that's how I lived my life, 24/7 in fight or flight mode.

I'll try to post another update in 6-12 month time. Meanwhile, if my post at the top sounds like your life, do yourself a favor:

1) get a private GP. yes it's expensive but it's worth every penny. No wait to anything.
2) don't shy away from seeing a psychatrist and take ssris: the alternative are more fear or drug abuse, both suck, trust me.
3) don't hesitate to get a new job. Mine was the source of much distress and now I have a job I love and feel appreciated, its' a world of difference.

I hope you all feel better very soon. I send you much love. :hugs: