PDA

View Full Version : anxious about quiting smoking tomorow

gregcool
01-03-15, 15:14
Hi guys,im giving up smoking tomorow because of ill health,,im very anxious about giving it up, its going to be very hard,iv got nicoret sprays from the doctor to help with the cravings,i really want to stop but feel very anxious about it in case i fail,any tips,,,,,its like D day tomorow and want to try and be possitive

Magic
01-03-15, 16:36
Hi Greg, I have given up smoking by having nicotine patches and inhalers. from the Nurse. 12 weeks course. I was determined to do it as I am under heart decease .
I have not smoked for about three weeks now. The Nurse said that the practice
does not support the e-lights (which I have been using now and again.).
The chemist which is next door to the surgery has all e-lights on display.
Just don't understand that??? Anyway Greg the best of luck. I find I have more
energy now. I got a bit wound up this morning and lit a real ciggy up, but had to stop as I went so dizzy. Will not be doing that again!!!!
All the best :hugs:

gregcool
01-03-15, 21:12
good to hear you didnt start up again magic..im on the sprays which i start tom.i get them on script for free cos im not working,so i get them for as long as i need them..so thats good for me..i did give up smoking for 10 years before and only started up again 2 years ago due to seperating from my wife and stress.so hopefully i can do it again

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

by the way.anyone know of any quit smoking forums

SarahH
01-03-15, 22:13
Good luck Greg. I gave up after 35 yrs on the 13th of December last year. I use the Nicorette mouth sprays which are great. I have to say I am far less anxious without the cigarettes, which is strange but also understandable considering nicotine is a stimulant:doh:. My Drs won't give the spray on prescription, how did you manage that one?

Sarah

gregcool
01-03-15, 23:09
well done to you sarah..day one tomorow for me..iv just had my last smoke and chucked the rest in the bin..i just went to my doctors and they refered me to the none smoking clinic in the surgery.and they perscribed me the quick mist spray on perscription..im not working so dont have to pay.and its on going as long as i need it...so do the spray work..im hoping so...

MyNameIsTerry
02-03-15, 04:44
Well done Sarah.

Keep going Magic, you'll get there if you've gone 3 weeks already. They probably don't support electronic cigs because there have been other health concerns raised about them so they are now advising people not to use them...as opposed to real fags? (not everyone wants to give up afterall!)

Good luck Greg, you can do it mate! Mood is likely to be a bit up & down I guess so just be prepared and not let it feed any other issues.

...and Greg...you will have to get a new avi soon mate or photshop the ciggie out! :roflmao:

SarahH
02-03-15, 12:43
The spray is great it gives you an instant hit of nicotine and tastes like you've just had a ciggie.
I am seeing the respiratory nurse on the 11th to test for COPD. When I saw her briefly last month she said they don't give prescriptions for the spray. But I,m going to talk to my GP and see if that's true. They are pretty expensive but I have managed to fine them cheaper on Amazon.
Good luck today Greg. I try to think of all the positives about giving up... my breathing/less anxiety/better sleep/food tasting great/more energy.

Sarah

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

...oh and well done Magic:yesyes:

Fishmanpa
02-03-15, 12:59
This is a dear one to me knowing 1st hand the extremely detrimental effects of tobacco. Good going to those beating this dragon and congrats Greg on making the decision to do so.

If I were you, I would change the thumbnail pic to one without a cigarette in your mouth ;) No need to be reminded of the habit you're trying to break.

I'll say "good going" as opposed to "good luck" because it's not a matter of luck, it's a matter of doing it!

Positive thoughts

gregcool
02-03-15, 13:26
thanks terry i will change my pic.lol..thanks fishman for possitive vibes..well its been 5 hrs since i woke up and havnt had a smoke.iv taken the quick mist spray and seem to feel ok..but i am out at the moment,the real test is when im back in doors and the bordom kicks in..but so far iv been a none smoker for 5hrs ...sarah ask your doc about script for the mist..they gave me 4 of them thats nearly £60 worth..i cant aford them myself

MyNameIsTerry
02-03-15, 13:39
The spray is great it gives you an instant hit of nicotine and tastes like you've just had a ciggie.
I am seeing the respiratory nurse on the 11th to test for COPD. When I saw her briefly last month she said they don't give prescriptions for the spray. But I,m going to talk to my GP and see if that's true. They are pretty expensive but I have managed to fine them cheaper on Amazon.
Good luck today Greg. I try to think of all the positives about giving up... my breathing/less anxiety/better sleep/food tasting great/more energy.

Sarah

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

...oh and well done Magic:yesyes:

Hi Sarah,

Its not true according to NHS Direct:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Smoking-%28quitting%29/Pages/Treatment.aspx

NRT comes in different forms, including:
skin patches
chewing gum
inhalators, which look like plastic cigarettes through which nicotine is inhaled
tablets, strips and lozenges, which you put under your tongue
nasal spray
mouth spray
Your GP can prescribe NRT or you can buy it from a pharmacist.
There's no evidence that one particular type of NRT is more effective than another. The one you choose is down to personal preference.

What it might be is the local trust or CQC that is in the way. It might be called NHS, but a lot of the treatment side is decided at local level too. Your local trust and CGC will have websites and you may be able to check on there and you can contact them if needed.

GP's are well known for saying things are not available, like various medications as I think we seen a few times and I know Greg's had some of this trouble over cost in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me if its a local trust saying money by being a bit tight lipped and steering people in the direction of slightly cheaper forms of NRT.

Magic
02-03-15, 14:08
When I saw how much the treatments for helping smoking addiction were. I had a shock at the prices. That's why I went to my GP as I am over sixty and have free prescriptions. I thought that the tar content was the worse thing, but the nicotine is bad for you too. By blowing into a tube the nurse could tell if I had had a smoke that particular day. The nurse gave me a choose of several treatments.
I find keeping busy takes your mind off thinking about smoking.
I have patches to last me for one month, then I am on my own.
Good Luck to all on this subject x

gregcool
02-03-15, 16:15
thanks magic.good luck to you to..its still my first day and its been 7 hrs smoke free i can allready feel my wheezing has eased up dramaticly through the day..early days yet tho.

SarahH
02-03-15, 22:42
Well done Greg. I felt the wheezy chest go in 48 hrs. And the difference it has made to my anxiety is incredible.

Keep posting we can all support each other.:)

Thanks for the info Terry

Sarah

MrAndy
03-03-15, 08:56
my wife smokes a lot I try and tell her to stop but it just ends in an argument.
Well done for trying Greg and good luck with it,its such an expensive habit think of the money you will save

gregcool
03-03-15, 09:24
cheers guys...day two today..my chest feels 100% better..no wheezing at all...

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 09:32
Well done Greg! First hurdle over mate.

How is the anxiety & mood holding up? You sound positive.

gregcool
03-03-15, 10:20
hi terry..well its early in the day yet ,but i do feel a bit more anxious then normal at the moment and the urge to smoke is there.i supose this must be normal feelings..i wish i could fast forward a few weeks..also feel a bit more depressed than norm

MrAndy
03-03-15, 10:21
is that you on the bike in your avatar Greg ?

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 10:25
My dad gave up a few years ago Greg after he had a bit of an issue with a lump and it scared the life out of him. It turned out to be nothing but it was his wake up call really.

He had given up and restarted over the years and about 6 years ago he tapered it down to 1 or 2 a day but then it crept back up as it does. He did all that without any help but when he gave up this time he asked his GP for assistance.

He had what you are saying, anxiety due to cravings. It made him moody as well so keep an eye on it and allow it without letting it feed your other concerns because this is what everyone goes through even without anxiety disorders, like my dad.

You will get there mate.

gregcool
03-03-15, 10:39
andy...no its not a pic of me mate...just love bikes and have had a few over the years...terry i was thinking of cutting down,but i know its just delaying it and as you say,you prob end up smoking heavy again like your dad..i will keep an eye on my moods,but nothing i can do about them if they arive.ill have to just ride them out , i hope !!! as you say its norn for mood changes for most people,but us mental health people get it worse.because we allready have a degree of depression to start with

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 10:59
Thats the best way to look at it Greg, just don't let it tip you over into your other issues, accept it for what it is, I bet you've been through worse!

Just think how good your breathing will be in 6 months time when its done all the repair work for you.

MrAndy
03-03-15, 11:08
andy...no its not a pic of me mate...just love bikes and have had a few over the years...
ive got a ktm rc8 sat in the garage waiting for some warm weather :D

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 11:20
ive got a ktm rc8 sat in the garage waiting for some warm weather :D

Wow, now that's one cool bike! :shades:

MrAndy
03-03-15, 11:26
Wow, now that's one cool bike! :shades:
I have to say being able to afford one is also the reason I cant afford to drink or smoke :)

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 11:30
I have to say being able to afford one is also the reason I cant afford to drink or smoke :)

Well worth the money, you don't need to drink or smoke, just be able to afford the petrol...you'll get a bigger rush riding that around! :yesyes:

gregcool
03-03-15, 12:27
my last bike 3 uears ago was a GSXR k8 750.i loved it.had it all race tuned and a fantastic M3 pipe on her..used to go like a rocket..had a bandit 1000 before that.and a american GSR 600 before that...i loved my bikes and kept them as clean as new..my GSXR AND BANDIT were both from new,and when i sold them,they still looked new.i cleaned them every day...i miss my bikes.was great in the summer just going out for a blast.just used to go where the wind took me.went down to the coast many times..give me a bike any day..

MrAndy
03-03-15, 12:43
my last bike 3 uears ago was a GSXR k8 750.i loved it.had it all race tuned and a fantastic M3 pipe on her..used to go like a rocket..had a bandit 1000 before that.and a american GSR 600 before that...i loved my bikes and kept them as clean as new..my GSXR AND BANDIT were both from new,and when i sold them,they still looked new.i cleaned them every day...i miss my bikes.was great in the summer just going out for a blast.just used to go where the wind took me.went down to the coast many times..give me a bike any day..
I had a k3 gsxr 750 it was an awesome bike,it had a full arrow system fitted to it and sounded mega.I went all over the country on it doing track days and stuff
That photo of yours looks like the mountain at cadwell which is an amazing track
Happy days Greg :)

gregcool
03-03-15, 12:56
awsome andy.sounds cool mate..i never did the track days,i wish i did tho,but had plenty of nice ride outs with other bikers..your bike sounds great mate ,i loved the earlyer Gsxr ..allways bern a great bike..cant beat em..yea happy days mate

BikerMatt
03-03-15, 21:16
Pic of me at Brands Hatch track day. Sold it at the start of Dec as haven't worked for 6 months truly gutted:weep: this summer will be hard! BLOODY ILLNESS!

gregcool
03-03-15, 21:33
awsome bike..nice pic to...looks pro...same as brov.selling my bike was like cutting my right arm off

xBettyBoopx
04-03-15, 01:30
Good for you Greg, keep up the good work:yesyes: Breath easier :yesyes:

Els
xxx

MrAndy
04-03-15, 08:59
Pic of me at Brands Hatch track day. Sold it at the start of Dec as haven't worked for 6 months truly gutted:weep: this summer will be hard! BLOODY ILLNESS!
nice pic Matt,one day you will do this again mate

SarahH
04-03-15, 12:23
How's the non smoking Greg? Hope its going well. Funny I actually found my anxiety was better after giving up! I feel free from my health anxiety and general anxiety too.

:D

Sarah

ps. I don't have a bike

gregcool
04-03-15, 12:38
Hi Sarah..thanks for asking.well day three now and it seems under control..have urges esp when im in my flat on my own,but fighting them.reminding myself why i need to give up..so fingers crosses it will continue in this way for the days ahead...

SarahH
04-03-15, 17:37
:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
05-03-15, 10:43

Very pro Matt! :shades: