PDA

View Full Version : Blackmailed by boss?

NervousA1
01-03-15, 15:26
Hi all yesterday I was confronted by my store manager, I work in retail... They are planning on doing home deliveries from our store, basically I was told I have to get a drivers license and be a van driver having never driven before, or have my hours cut from 40hrs a week to just 18hrs.

I have worked there for 8 years, I suffer from social anxiety/depression/visual snow/tinnitus and pretty sure I have depersonalisation. Being around people is painfully awkward as it is. Working on a cash register wears me out fast. Hate it.

I can't see myself driving a van i'd be a liability.

Life sucks. :weep:

ray52
01-03-15, 16:35
As your working full time at the moment do you have an employment contract (you should do after 8 years). It should say what your duties are.

NervousA1
01-03-15, 16:43
Customer advisor, contract is 18.75hrs a week, but I've been doing full time for a long time now. Guess I don't have a leg to stand on :(

ray52
01-03-15, 16:50
Has your manager offer to pay for your lessons and test ?

NervousA1
01-03-15, 16:59
Nope :lac:

ray52
01-03-15, 17:22
Surely if they need you to have extra skills they should pay for them do you work for one the big stores if so you could go above them. but that would start a fight and not sure if you feel up to that

Brunette
03-03-15, 15:48
Not sure what your legal position is with regards to you working full time but only being contracted for 18.75 hours a week but they can't expect you take on a new skill that requires training without arranging to pay for that that themselves.

And if your current mental health situation means that you would not feel safe driving then your GP should surely be able to back you up on that?

MyNameIsTerry
05-03-15, 05:20
If you have been working full time hours on a part time contract for a long time then I think your boss needs to consider making you full time since this should not be a permanent thing and its a bit like making you zero hours but just set to 18.75.

It is possible for a company to restructure and cause a change in employment contracts, I've been through it myself.

If by changing your contract they impose a new responsibility on you that you cannot fulfil due to health reasons then you are getting into redundancy territory.

Since your contract is only for 18.75 hours anyway, he can cut your hours back whenever he likes so I don't see how its relevant and it makes me question why your boss keeps you on those long hours. Its not blackmail to change employment contracts as long as the law is adhered to but it feels like there is some form of under the table agreement on your working hours here that you both agree to.

I would suggest reviewing your rights on not only whether redundancy applies or whether based on your years at 40 hours whether you should have been offered a full time employment contract.

Why exactly do you have to deliver if you work 40 hours but not if you work 18.75 hours?