PDA

View Full Version : Flying - what's the worst that can happen if I panic

Helencollins
01-03-15, 21:49
I have developed panic disorder and panic attacks over the past 2 years.

I have no fears greater than the fear of the attack itself.

Last September I was panicking when I boarded a flight and because I wasn't travelling alone I wasn't able to calm myself down and I had a huge panic attack and asked to get off the aircraft before take off.

I knew the issue was the panic attack, not the flying. 2 days later I got another flight and was fine, there and back, because I was not stressed and kept my panic at bay.

My attacks have become self fulfilling prophecies, if I start to fear I will have one in a certain situation then chances are I will.

Last week I pushed through an attack on a train and felt really proud. Breathing technique worked for the first time for me, but it was terrifying.

We have booked a last minute holiday for 3 weeks time and unfortunately I have got this nagging fear telling me I am going to panic, thus setting me up
For it. Getting off obviously isn't an option after take off, so I'm trying to be logical and say okay, if I panic and know I can't get off for four hours, am I going to panic more than normal? Or will it pass as always? It's the lack of escape for such a long period that is frightening me, although I am well aware it is all due to my state of mind when I board.

I guess I feel I can face the standard panic attack but fear of the unknown, will I pass out this time, will it be a 20 minute attack instead of the usual 3 minutes etc is like a black cloud.

Any advice? I don't really want to take a benzo as I am trying to avoid them.

Daniele_T
02-03-15, 14:12
It's not gonna help at all in the long run but...

If you find something that can be used as a get out, for example there's alcohol on a plane so if you start to panic you can drink and you'll be fine.

Apart from the fact that alcohol really does work it's a bad example to use as a crutch.

Worse is that if you find a safety device, lucky charm, whatever. Then you're giving fuel to your anxiety and mentally confirming/building it's power by saying you need a get out.

The choice is yours.

Ange1
02-03-15, 23:50
I had a panic attack at the airport and bought some Kalms as a last resort and they worked so I flew for over 4 hours. What helped almost as much was having them in my pocket on the plane knowing I could take them any time. I took a couple half way on the way 'just incase' but didn't need them on the way back. The next time rescue remedy worked just as well and on a sea crossing having one of those sickness bracelets on hand really helped. I think the trick is to have something you think will help and it helps keep you calm even by not taking it :) x

Blonde123
03-03-15, 11:38
I agree with Ange, rescue remedy works, although prob is all in the mind but the thought of having something is better than nothing and if it gets you through, bonus!

Brunette
03-03-15, 15:31
I suppose you could try antihistamines, they'll make you feel drowsy so you can sleep your way through the flight (depending how long it is). It might also help to sit on the end of a row, it can feel a bit claustrophobic squeezed in the middle.

Helencollins
04-03-15, 01:09
Thankyou all for your help, I am starting to feel a bit better about it.

I am happy to drink alcohol haha but it takes a fair few drinks to take the edge off for me.

I would be scared about mixing a benadryl with propranolol but am going to ask my pharmacist as the last time I had one (benadryl) I felt very unanxious and drowsy, exactly what I need! Anyone know if these 2 are okay to mix (without alcohol of course)

fallingstar
04-03-15, 06:45
I understand how you feel. The last time I flew was to Chicago (lay over) to Mexico and then back from Mexico straight to NYC. They were all anxiety inducing. I did get through them though - and this was after years of anxiety and panic - I will admit that I had a xanax prescription and 2 long island iced teas and some calming tea before hand that I sipped on the plane before take off. That all definitely helped. I also read magazines as a distraction.

Before that, I flew from Newark, NJ to Buffalo, NY to see my sister - that was my first time on a plane after being diagnosed - about 2 years after diagnosis. This was by far awful, but I made it through. I was hyperventilating and swore I'd pass out - I didn't. I was just talking about this with someone close to me; when you freak out and have an attack, you can't exactly pass out from the attack as your blood pressure generally rises. So try to remember that if you think your attack will throw you into passing out. Also we were saying that if you pass out - people are going to be caring and help you most likely. Although you may feel a multitude of negative things about passing out, what it will mean and how people around you will react - the truth is it will be nowhere as horrible as you think. And if you were to pass out, you'd eventually come to. Also, here's my theory; someone on that plane is going to know CPR, have a doctor friend with whom they've had numerous conversations with about how to treat a sick person or even a dr or nurse themselves. So with all that info at hand, hopefully it doesn't seem as scary.

I think that once you take off and know that the gate at your destination airport is your "escape" you'll just look towards that - and not backwards towards your origin. Distract yourself with stuff - that's my advice - and come up with a plan of action to keep as calm as possible - include the person you're traveling with in this plan if possible.

And just remember, as I've had to remind myself so much, your panic attacks can only last so long - if it's 3 minutes or up to 20, you'll come out of both eventually just like every time before. And you'll be ok and in one piece afterwards - maybe exhausted - but ok. I know being enclosed in a traveling vehicle is scary but the attack will show itself the same as it would anywhere else, so I would just think about that. That's what I'm doing. I'm actually going on a flight myself in 21 days - longest flight I've ever taken. I think I'm less freaked about the flight than I would normally be.... because even though this trip is 7 hours over the ocean (first time over the ocean), what's waiting for me on the other side is what's going to keep my anxiety and panic at bay.
If you're looking forward to something so much, I think that it makes the traveling portion that much easier. And for myself, if I get an attack on the plane - there is always the alcohol cart and deep breathing exercises and music and reading a magazine!

I wish you all the luck!
If you happen to be flying after me, I can offer better advice after the flights I think, on how I got through.
:hugs::yesyes:

Helencollins
04-03-15, 20:48
Thanks all of you for your help. I had a little cry tonight because I was worrying about this all day today after stupidly reading about other peoples panic attacks on planes (one woman said she fainted - my big fear) and I got so angry. I should be looking forward to my holiday not worrying about a panic attack on the plane. I'm going to stop feeling sorry for myself now and just try and relax as much as I can.

23tana
05-03-15, 03:22
Nobody ever died from a faint. It is the body's way of regulating your breathing again.The worst that can happen in a faint is that you feel silly when you come round. Take distraction items with you - music, crosswords, a book, and try to drink as much water as you can - this can be obtained from the stewards at any time. I've had to do many long haul flights under the cloud of panic attacks and I survived them all by focusing on my destination. Good luck

fallingstar
18-04-15, 17:17
I agree about what the other person wrote about fainting. :)
Did you take your trip yet? Hope it went well!

Davit
18-04-15, 18:12
I'm not here to support you, you have lots of that. First off Benzo's only become addictive if you take them when you don't need them. I know all about this, I was dependent on them for four years and I'm clean. Would I take one to get on a plane, Yes, it is only a flight, not your life. So take it and enjoy the flight. Even if you don't take it, take it with you incase.
CBT or any functional therapy is not about bulling through.

Now here is a CBT technique based on negative and positive. If you think about this all the things you do with ease you do because you "want to". The things you do that are hard are things you "have to". I keep posting this because it does work. Those doing this will tell you it is so. Agoraphobia is the fear of not having control. Fear of fear is it at it's worst.
If you really "want to" do something you get to take back control. Close your eyes and say, I can do this because I want to. I don't have to, but I will because I want to. Of course if you ruin it by thinking in the background this is silly, I have to you will have lost to it. You don't have to do anything. You are in control. First stages of using this is to build a few mantras to talk to yourself with. After a few times they are not necessary, you will do things because you want to and if you want to there is no need to panic. Try it somewhere simple first and see if you don't feel the positive.

Davit
20-04-15, 01:39
Boy do I sound like a pompous ass, feel free to agree. I must have been tired. Any way the technique does work.