PDA

View Full Version : nausea

one day at a time
02-03-15, 14:15
Has anyone got any natural remedies to help with nausea and loss of appetite? I'm in a full blown anxiwty relapse due to health anxiety and can't eat , losing soo much weight and feel soo weak which isn't helping , finding it hard to do things to keep me occupied because I just feel sick without food in me . Every morning I'm dry retching .

23fish
02-03-15, 22:59
A friend just brought me Berocca, which comes as tablets that you dissolve to make a fizzy orange drink. Good to replace vitamins. I've also tried Complan milkshakes, which are OK as long as you mix them thoroughly. Soup is easy to get down, especially broth based ones.
I find I can't eat anything until about 3, and then make the most of any glimmers of appetite - managed a doughnut yesterday!
Hope you feel better soon

Bluebelle
03-03-15, 04:20
I am sorry you're experiencing nausea-it is the worst isn't it?
The only thing that helps me is a piece of raw ginger-I peel it and put a chunk in my mouth-sometimes it burns my tongue but it is cure for my nausea.
Sometimes the nausea is so extreme -I have to chew it up a swallow the ginger-yes there is dry retching but the ginger is magic and no more nausea!

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 08:13
When I was heading for a relapse and struggling at work I had a lot of nausea. I had to escape from my desk and head for the toilets to calm down. I found some accupressure exercises online that would help with my nausea. There are loads of free vids you can watch that demonstrate them and worksheets, etc.

You can also buy seasickness bands in chemists and supermarkets thesedays which may help.

I'm not sure how much these would help though considering eating is really the way to stop this (I know its nowhere near that simple, I've had some issues with food when my anxiety was at its worst but not to your level). I would advise you to look on the GAD board for a long running thread about an eating disorder by Kimberley2. Perhaps talking to some of the people with issues like yours will pull up some suggestions but more importantly give you some support from people who understand.

As 23fish said, drinking calories is a lot easier and can avoid bloating. If you can work in protein shakes, it may be a way to keep you going until you can work on your issues with food.

one day at a time
03-03-15, 08:25
In the past forcing myself to eat little and often and then add more to each meal would make the nausea ease and go , after eating a little something my stomach would feel better but not this time , still feel nausea after eating . I have sinus issues right now and wondering if post nasal drip is causing it although I do get it with anxiety. Have an appt later with the Dr to try sort my sinuses . I do have one of those anti sickness bands for my wrist will give it a go .

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 08:32
Yes, it could be.

When I've had colds, I've had some nausea from the extra mucus that you end up swallowing. If there is a lot you often find its stuck in your throat and you struggle to clear it and this is when the nausea is more common, I find. If you already struggle with nausea, its going to heighten it although nausea from such as colds is perfectly normal.

Since you are able to add to your food, which is great by the way as that can be very hard to get past, then could you try fortifying your food? You can get protein, vitamins & minerals that you add to an existing meal and stirr in.

SmilingAlbert
03-03-15, 19:57
I had this for ages, so I know how you feel.

The nausea (and lack of appetite etc.) is down to your stress and anxiety, plain and simple. Treat your stress and anxiety and the nausea will go away.

Treating the nausea directly is tackling the symptom, not the cause. I took a while to realise that. Indeed, the very fact that most remedies won't help you underline this - they tackle the stomach, whereas your problem is above the neck. This I too discovered the hard way.

So when you meet your GP, discuss this. You may not want to go the pharma route, but it may be the only way if you get fed up of this going on too long. FWIW my doc put me on something called Pregabalin and it solved my nausea-from-anxiety problem within 24 hours.

Good luck,

Albert

one day at a time
03-03-15, 20:14
Usually with nausea from anxiety eating little and often helps and I get past it , this felt different ,even after eating I felt nausea . I had a Dr appt today and I do have a sinus infection and the post nasal drip is causing the nausea , I've had this a while too but at my appt in january they said it takes a while for sinuses to settle after a virus and sent me packing . I had the evil virus/ flu over Xmas for 3 weeks , went back again because I was still rough with dizziness and the rest of it and got fobbed with anxiety . I have the worst Dr's . All the symptoms I've had for past 2 months have been a mixture of anxiety due to health anxiety (googling too much ,will I ever learn)and sinus infection . Maybe after these antibiotics I will know what's what . I felt I was still doing ok with GAD but not HA

hoppipolla
20-03-15, 11:58
Best things I've found for nausea are baking soda and ginger :)

Usually I just reach for the baking soda though because it's easier to take and works faster, but if the nausea was over a longer period then I would recommend ginger because it has a more sustained effect I believe and doesn't contain high amounts of sodium which can cause problems for people watching salt intake.