PDA

View Full Version : Worried about the spead of toilet germs

phil06
02-03-15, 15:22
I am worried about toilet germs. Basically my toilet in my parents house always leaks/blocks up. The small leak has not been fixed yet so I fear the smell of the water which I feel I can taste almost will make me ill? I also fear if people have to unblock toilets and don't wash there hands right everything they touch will be contaminated and forever harbour germs even if they clean them? I am OCD with hand washing that way..Anybody help with my worry? :blush:

Fishmanpa
02-03-15, 16:10
Hi Phil,

Certainly foul smells can make you ill but not in the sense of anything sinister. I know some really bad smells have made me toss my cookies but that's just a normal reaction IMO. Bacteria cannot live "forever" on surfaces, especially after they've been cleaned so that fear is irrational.

Having looked back, you have quite a long history of anxiety/OCD issues. Reassurance is not the answer so nothing anyone can say will help heal you from this fear. I suppose you're in therapy and/or on meds? If not, that would be my recommendation based on what I did read of your posts.

Positive thoughts

phil06
03-03-15, 16:17
What if I get ill in some way from the foul smells? :blush:

Brunette
05-03-15, 16:10
I think what FMP is trying to say that really bad smells can make you feel nauseous to the point where you actually vomit.

It doesn't mean that you are in any way "ill", it's just a reaction. Smells themselves can't harm you.

For centuries people thought disease was spread by foul smells and bad air and then found out it wasn't. Look up "miasma theory" for a full explanation.

phil06
14-03-15, 00:09
Toilet leak not fixed yet.

My mum put an old towel down and drained the wet towel in the sink. She did clean the sink but my ocd means I can't use the sink now and I use the one downstairs

Getting so anxious and feeling low about all these toilet germs. Feel I need to move out soon really hate feeling this bad :blush: