PDA

View Full Version : cancer gene testing

goldenchicks522
03-03-15, 10:49
I'm wondering about/if I should get the cancer test thing that tells you if you have the cancer gene, but I'm not sure because I realise how much that
would mess with my head...

On my dad's side, his mum and aunty had cancer (i am pretty sure it was breast with my gran but she was a very heavy smoker also) :S I've no idea whether her sister smoked but she also had cancer. I have no idea what type.

My aunty possibly had cancer, at a young age. This makes me worry there is a cancer gene.I just remember someone telling me she did have it or something, then again it's not the thing I would ask either. The good thing is if she did have it, she evidently survived it. It's never been mentioned though I don't think, makes me wonder if as a child I got the wrong end of the stick or heard something that I thought was that but maybe it wasn't?

But that is my paternal side, so I'm hoping this means there is less of a risk to me anyway? I don't know though. My dad did not have cancer. Just worried this evil cancer is in this family.

I'm not sure whether i should be tested to find out if I do have the gene as I can't really tell without knowing more and I can't know more for various reasons. What should I do?

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-15, 11:25
Have you researched the test? Wasn't there a warning from the NHS about it being inaccurate?

Do you know anything about epigenetics? Genes have an 'on' switch that are set to 'off'. There has to be an 'activator' as far as I know from reading about that stuff because there is research going on into mental health disorders and epigenetics. From reading about links to anxiety and genes, it would appear that poor lifestyle, lack of exercise, poor nutrition, possibly magnesium deficiency and B12 deficiency have links in there but of course cancer has all the others too eg smoking & the mutations issue.

I think you need to be careful with this. The question is if you have it, what does that really mean?

I think FMP will have some interesting advice on this one for you as a survivor.