PDA

View Full Version : Helloeee? Any other Janners out there?...

groovygranny
17-01-07, 00:56
Coooeee! Please tell me I'm not the only Janner southwest of Bristol and Exeter here ?! [:O] Does nobody want to venture onto the A38 (we even have tarmac!) for adventure, excitement and the sharing of life ??

If that's the case I'm gonna have to gatecrash somebody else's meet-up (as long as there will be oggies and clotted cream :)!!) cos it's awful lonely down here all by myself, with nobody with me .........all alone !!

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

smudgie
17-01-07, 01:04
Hi there
no your not alone Im from Hayle in Cornwall, we're all the same and all here to support each other, which
I found out straight away, you will always have a friend here.
take care
ness

ness

pips
17-01-07, 23:09
Hi ya GG.[8D]

I'm a Janner to born & bred in Plymouth now living in Costa Del Exmouth. LOL So your not alone alright me lover! Oo RRRRRRRRR[:P]

Take Care,;)

Love Pip's X X X X

Pippa.

dream
18-01-07, 08:46
Hi All
I was also born and bred in PLYMOUTH IM now in clevedon near bristol , i just love and miss oggies
and clotted cream so much
what i would do now to go for a nice morning
walk along the hoe lol [:P]
take care all
love denise xxx

denise

hogwarts
18-01-07, 19:49
Is there anyone out there form sunny blackpool.

Gareth.

darkangel
18-01-07, 20:06
just interested

whats a Janner?

........life is for living not just for surviving

groovygranny
18-01-07, 20:26
Woohoo! I have fellow inmates at last !!
Hello ness, pippa, denise..... and darkangel and gareth (two honourary Janners cos they posted here!)

Here is an extract from that 'Wickedpaedia' thingy:

"Janner has an origin as a slang term referring to any English person born within ten miles of the sea. More specifically "Janner is to Plymouth, as Scouse is to Liverpool".

"Janner" is used as both noun and adjective, describing the accent and colloquialisms used by the people of Plymouth, in South-West Devon, United Kingdom. For example:

* "Yurtiz" translates to "Here it is".
* "Ginormous, innum?" translates to "Very large, aren't they?"

However, with the changes in the local economy in Plymouth over the course of the 1980s and 1990s, from the Royal Navy being the major employer to being a university city housing a large number of students from outside the city, the term has developed an additional secondary pejorative sense describing the city's lower classes/chavs. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS statement... IT IS 'SO NOT TRUE, DO I LOOK BOVVERED?'

This leads to the term being used both pejoratively and normally by self-identification by all social classes within Plymouth. "

This:
So, me 'ansomes, oim verry 'appy to maek yer aquaentence in oim verry pleesed to meet 'e !!

Roughly translates as so:
So, my dears, I'm very happy to make your aquaintence and I am very pleased to meet you !

Sooo glad I'm not the only oggie-muncher here lol !!

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

darkangel
19-01-07, 11:50
thanks for that GG

i was born within 10 miles from a main river in scotland - guess that doesnt count lol

anyway Im so pleased to meet u too and I thought my mother language was complicated lol......

take care

dark x

........life is for living not just for surviving