PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause symptoms

rudiskacel
04-03-15, 21:37
Can HA cause symptoms that mimic ALS overnight.
This past month I have been having swallowing difficulties that have been constant. They came on overnight and have not subsided since.
All of this happened the day after I read about Bulbar ALS and I have been so worried ever since.

It feels like my swallowing reflex doesn't kick in properly and this has only happened after I read about ALS. It has been a month and it doesn't Seem to have progressed and my tongue seems perfectly strong.

Can anxiety cause these symptoms? I have been referred to ENT but who knows when I'll get an appointment.

Serenity1990
04-03-15, 23:16
Yes. Swallowing difficulties are very common in anxiety, there's a special name for it but I can't remember. Check the symptoms link on the home page of the site.

ALS is incredibly rare. Bulber onset of ALS is very rare even within ALS. If there was any indication at all of something like that I'm quite sure your referral would have been to a neuro, not an ENT.

rudiskacel
04-03-15, 23:57
Do the problems swallowing I describe sound like anxiety? I thought anxiety and swallowing was more of a 'lump in the throat' feeling, which I don't have.