PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Essex

Nat2015
06-03-15, 09:28
Hi my name is Nat. I've had agoraphobia for 3 1/2 years now (although it was rumbling in the background in the years preceding my initial housebound phase, I just didn't know it then). I have varied from being completely housebound for about 18 months to being able to get to certain places under certain circumstances and back again. I had a significant relapse around Christmas including a depressive episode and became fully housebound again for a time.

Luckily I'm one stubborn mule :D so I've picked myself up, got myself back on track and I'm making some progress again (albeit slowly). :yesyes:

I see a private therapist fortnightly and I started an intense meditation and mindfulness program that I devised with someone else, since January 1st which is really making a difference. I also do exposure therapy everyday. My main problem is a lack of meaningful contact with people. I have no family (long story) and a couple if friends who have helped so much, but I don't see them often. I would say that I have spent about 90% of my time alone in those 3 1/2 years and its added somewhat to the problem.

I have voluntary jobs but I am only able to get to one of them atm as it is very close to my house. I go 3 mornings a week for 1 1/2- 2 hours and this really is pretty much the only time I interact with other people. I also managed to get back to tai chi for 1 hour this week for the first time since before Christmas. :yesyes:

I'm looking forward to chatting to others going through similar. I'd really be interested in hearing from other people's experience with mindfulness and meditation.

It really is a lonely illness this and even the most well meaning friends cannot fully understand the effects it has on every aspect of our lives.

Well that was a ramble

Thanks for listening

Nat :)

venusbluejeans
06-03-15, 09:33
Hiya Nat2015 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Mark13
06-03-15, 11:51
Hi Nat. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll benefit from being here, just as I have.

gregcool
06-03-15, 12:59
hi nat.i was agaraphobic years ago.i couldnt leave my flat at all for months.then what i did in the end when i knew this was a real problem was,i used to everyday just open my front door and expose myself to the eliments and stand there for a few min.i did this on and off through the day to get used to the outdoors.many times a day.then after a while i started to step outside on and off,then i started going for a 1 min walk then back in doors.i continued to do this for days,slowley increasing the time outside,untill i could go for a ten min walk.in time it got longer and longer each time untill i could walk to the local shops.after a while it started to lift and i was able to go out for the day.you have to expose yourself to it bit by bit to get used to it and overcome the panic and fear that you get from going outside.it gets easer as time goes by...it wont just go if you dont challenge it and put yourself out there...i had the same thing with busses.i couldnt get on one as i feared the door shutting and locking me in..i used to walk to the bus stop ,wait for a bus then watch it leave.i did this for a couple of weeks.then i fot on a bus for one stop only and felt the fear and panic.i did this for several days.then bit by bit increased it to more and more stops.before i new it,i could stay on a bus for as long as i wanted..its all about being in control and putting yourself through the panic.you soon get used to it and realize it cant hurt you.then the fear and panic slowly goes..

Nat2015
06-03-15, 15:37
Thank you very much for the kind welcomes and suggestions. :)