PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to develop lung cancer after 3 years of on and off smoking?

Strovbe
07-03-15, 21:22
I never smoked more than about 3/4ths of a pack a day and do not have a family history of lung cancer, but recently I've been clearing my throat a long and it's been really hard to breathe. I've also sorta lost my appetite after a panic attack yesterday. I feel pretty tired, even though I sleep like 10 hours a day sometimes. I've been coughing too recently, though it might be allergies. Haven't coughed up blood or phlegm or anything. I did get chest pains at times, and back pain, but it never happened more than once a day. My doctor listened to my breathing last month, surely if something was wrong he'd have heard it, right?

23tana
08-03-15, 08:15
See your doctor again if this continues, just so he knows it's ongoing.

My grandad died of lung cancer and he never smoked a cigarette in his life. Other people I know have smoked over 60 years and are still healthy.

Fishmanpa
08-03-15, 11:44
The question really is, Have you quit yet? I've asked before but got conflicting answers vs. post info. If you do, at your age, your lungs would be that of one who never smoked within a year or so.

Positive thoughts

Serenity1990
08-03-15, 18:56
There is no statistically significant increase in probability of getting lung cancer over the course of your life if you have smoked for less than ten pack years, according to recent research. After this point the probabilities increase exponentially. You can work out your pack years using various online tools.

Quit now and that particular risk from smoking should be nipped in the bud. Do it while you can.