PDA

View Full Version : Scared it's not panic attacks

heyybeth92
08-03-15, 00:43
Does anyone ever feel like what they're experiencing might not be panic attacks? I have all the classic symptoms I think...but I worry that it is something else. I don't usually have bad heart palpitations or trouble breathing, but I get this REALLY weird feeling...like I'm in a nightmare or like something is just not right...and I have to get up and go somewhere. It is getting so intense. When I'm not having a full on attack I feel like I'm on the edge of one. I don't get a lot of the physical symptoms though...just those intense feelings like something is dreadfully wrong inside of me. Does that sound like panic? Is it normal to be scared that it's not panic? I worry that it is some untreatable disease or something.

anthrokid
08-03-15, 01:45
I think it's really common for people who experience panic attacks to feel like they are something else, or to worry that they might be something else. Not all panic attacks are the same. There are what we call 'typical' panic attacks, which are usually accompanied by the racing heart, rapid breathing, overwhelming fear that something bad is going to happen, sweating, etc. There are also what we call 'atypical' panic attacks, that can be just as frightening, but can lack in some of the common panic attack symptoms, such as racing heart and rapid breathing. From what you are describing, it does sound like you may be having 'atypical' panic attacks. The main symptom in panic attacks is an intense and overwhelming fear that something is wrong, or that you will die, or that you are going to lose control, etc.

Have you spoken to your doctor about these experiences? It could be really helpful for you to better understand your symptoms if you visit your doctor and discuss them :) Your doctor will be able to explain the symptoms and let you know what they think is going on for you and how to best manage them.

heyybeth92
08-03-15, 04:48
Thank you for your reply! I have a question, do you ever have indescribable anxiety feelings? Like it's an uneasy feeling like something is wrong but you don't know what? And it makes it hard to focus and concentrate...

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-15, 06:20
If it occurs after a panic attack, the anxiety tends to be because of the scare and the excess adrenaline which can take a while to be metabolised.

If its just all the time and you feel on the edge of one, it may be GAD which can be more 24/7.

Lee2475
08-03-15, 11:52
I had one last week and it was exactly the same as you describe. I could breath OK, I just come over odd and thought I was gonna die, but couldn't put my finger on it at all. Couldn't even explain it but thought I'm loosing it.
I almost called an ambulance, would have looked like a fool if I did. This was a side affect of citalopram, but I've had plenty to of panic attacks before and there all like you describe, diazapam is my best friend when I have these.

anthrokid
09-03-15, 00:53
Thank you for your reply! I have a question, do you ever have indescribable anxiety feelings? Like it's an uneasy feeling like something is wrong but you don't know what? And it makes it hard to focus and concentrate...

This is a core feature of anxiety. Extremely common for anxiety sufferers to experience. I haven't suffered from anxiety for several years, but I remember that same feeling all too well.