PDA

View Full Version : irrational fears

John95
09-03-15, 12:58
do other people experience similar. i have really bad anxiety to the point it cripples me not to be able to function properly yet i no it cant hurt me yet i smoke a pack a day and i dont seem to worry about getting cancer which is a real worry i dont think about it yet i suffer with make believe anxiety's which cant hurt me do you understand what im saying can anyone relate to this?

John,

Oosh
10-03-15, 16:18
Well in your head you see anxieties which make you anxious. But when you see tobacco you see relieving anxiety.

A depressed person might drink excessively to relieve the suffering but they don't think twice about the negative impact of alcohol.

Seems relieving the discomfort is a big priority for most of us and I'd say that makes sense. It's hard to not take up the choice to relieve the discomfort. We are programmed to seek pleasure and avoid pain.

one day at a time
10-03-15, 17:13
I smoke a lot when I'm anxious , as soon as soon as I start breathing fast and I'm out the door to light up , it calms me and regulates my breathing . I know I need to manage my anxiwty before even trying to quit so I can manage the anxiety that comes with quitting

one day at a time
10-03-15, 18:39
That's just like saying stop being anxious , not very helpful