PDA

View Full Version : Constantly feel not good enough

Kaiex
09-03-15, 19:22
For the last few months the worst of my anxiety has stemmed from feeling like I am not good enough and that my partner will just find someone better. Being Autistic he has never really had friends as such and since last year he started an open university course where he keeps meeting new people. All of the people who speak to him though are women who I feel he has more in common with. Even though we have been together 7 years I just feel like he would be much better off and more happy with someone else. So I end up anxious all the time while he is talking to these people because I am constantly stressing that he's going to realise it too. Although he tries to reassure me my brain just switches back to anxious mode again soon after.

I feel like I'm crippling my relationship and I don't know how best to fix how scared I feel :(

Sorry for the rant. It probably sounds silly really. But he's my life.

Oosh
10-03-15, 16:10
It doesn't sound silly at all. Most of us can feel like that. I certainly have.

Your self esteem is low. Remind yourself why him and anybody else might like you. What are the good things about you ?

You feel better about yourself and then you become less insecure about him.
Build your self esteem back up.

Think of what a positive thing you are in his life and how he'd miss you if you were gone. What are all the nice things he'd lose in his life if he didn't have you anymore !

It works, start feeling better about yourself and who and what you are.

lior
10-03-15, 16:50
You're faced with a change. You are not the centre of your partner's world any more. It might not even just be about other women, but also about the change he is making to his own life by studying. Do you feel threatened by that too? I'm not saying you are, but it might be a possibility.

If that is the case, maybe it would help to change your life too. Is there something you want to study or change somehow? That may help you feel better about your power over your own life.

Through the change, it's important to keep time together just the two of you, to remind each other that you care about each other.

I get the sense that you have had the upper hand in the relationship until now, and now the power balance might be shifting a bit. Believing in his faithfulness might help, as well as strengthening your own self worth.

Ehrilato
10-03-15, 18:33
For the last few months the worst of my anxiety has stemmed from feeling like I am not good enough and that my partner will just find someone better. Being Autistic he has never really had friends as such and since last year he started an open university course where he keeps meeting new people. All of the people who speak to him though are women who I feel he has more in common with. Even though we have been together 7 years I just feel like he would be much better off and more happy with someone else. So I end up anxious all the time while he is talking to these people because I am constantly stressing that he's going to realise it too. Although he tries to reassure me my brain just switches back to anxious mode again soon after.

I feel like I'm crippling my relationship and I don't know how best to fix how scared I feel :(

Sorry for the rant. It probably sounds silly really. But he's my life.

If your partner keep to you he will not search for your shortcomings he will accept you the way you are.

Kaiex
21-03-15, 23:26
Thank you all. So sorry I only just replied! We are both working through the issues now and are even going to couple's counselling to really try make things work out :)