PDA

View Full Version : mirtazapine 15 or 30mg

jane2011
10-03-15, 17:05
Doc has given me 30mg as a starting dose for insomnia but I have read that 15mg is better for sleep. I am desperate for sleep should I just take it or chop it in half thank you

SmilingAlbert
10-03-15, 23:03
There is some debate on this question, but many believe that lower doses are more sedating. If you've never taken it before, I can say from happy experience say that 15mg will give you sleep like you've never had it before.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Albert

hanshan
11-03-15, 09:07
If you are mainly bothered by insomnia, then I would probably try 15 mg first. You can always move back up to 30 mg. Another tack would be to take 15mg and keep 15 mg by your bedside.

Do note that it's not fast-acting like benzodiazepines - you may need to take it an hour or more before bedtime.

Everyone is different, so you may need to experiment a bit before you find what works best for you.

Also, daytime sleepiness is common for the first week or so, but it wears off. Best of luck with it.

keggsy
11-03-15, 17:32
There is some debate on this question, but many believe that lower doses are more sedating. If you've never taken it before, I can say from happy experience say that 15mg will give you sleep like you've never had it before.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Albert

Not true for us all sadly Albert!

NR
02-04-15, 12:38
I was told 15mg is more sedating that 30mg. I have been on 15mg for five weeks and had good sleep for the few three or four weeks. Its broken now and nightmares are starting to return.

hanshan
03-04-15, 04:44
Hi NR,

Dose response varies from person to person. I find taking a higher dose (45 mg) makes me sleep longer without waking.

Hipha
03-04-15, 13:48
Hello

I have tried all 3 doses of Mirtazapine and have found that for me the guidance that higher doses are less sedating are completely true. I find that I sleep as soon as I switch off the light on 15mg and within 5 minutes on 30mg and sleep until woken! Tried 45mg for last 3 weeks and have found difficulty in getting to sleep and increased anxiety during the day so have returned to 30mg. I would try 15mg and if too sedating move to 30mg. But as always remember everybody is different as mentioned by Hanshan. Good luck

hanshan
04-04-15, 05:04
The simplest thing is to try different doses (within prescription limits) and find what works best for you. Also, time of day it is taken can be varied somewhat.

Happy137
27-09-17, 15:49
Hi I was recently upped my dosage of Mirtazapine for 15mg to 30mg. Have been taking the new dose for about 6 weeks. Any idea on how long it takes to really feel full effects? I no longer feel as depressed as I used to but I still feel some of the anxiousness, a little fear and some trouble swallowing due to tightness in my throat. I honestly can say that all of this is not like 6 weeks ago. Should I just give it a little more time?:)

Shazamataz
28-09-17, 08:12
Hi I was recently upped my dosage of Mirtazapine for 15mg to 30mg. Have been taking the new dose for about 6 weeks. Any idea on how long it takes to really feel full effects? I no longer feel as depressed as I used to but I still feel some of the anxiousness, a little fear and some trouble swallowing due to tightness in my throat. I honestly can say that all of this is not like 6 weeks ago. Should I just give it a little more time?:)

I didn't get any anxiety relief from Mirtazipine but it did help my mood a little. I've heard it can help to start and often poops out. Sorry I don't have better news!

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Doc has given me 30mg as a starting dose for insomnia but I have read that 15mg is better for sleep. I am desperate for sleep should I just take it or chop it in half thank you

Personal experience is that lower doses are more sedating to start with but I didn't find it all that effective for insomnia when my anxiety was very high.

I'm on a low dose of quetiapine for insomnia now and it works really well.

Mermaid16
28-09-17, 08:33
Hi Shaz! How are you going? I'm still here, trying to get myself well again. I have good and bad days. I see you tried the quetiapine again. Did you still get the dizziness and stoned feeling? I'm still on Olanzapine but want to change because of weight gain.

I think with Mirtazapine the lower doses are better to start with, but you build a token every to it and then have to increase to get the same sedation. Mirtazipine has been awesome for depression, it can pick me up in a few days, but anything over 30mg and my anxiety goes through the roof, so I sit just under 30 and it works. Start low and then you have room to move in the future.

Maca44
28-09-17, 21:05
Why does or can this drug increase anxiety at a higher does. l went up from 30mg to 45mg three weeks ago and my anxiety got bad again so ive dropped back to 30mg again. l find that odd but there must be a reason.

hanshan
29-09-17, 08:57
A possible reason for anxiety at higher doses is because mirtazapine increases production of noradrenaline, which is an activating neurotransmitter. This can be good for lifting mood in people who are depressed, but for others it may be too much.

Maca44
29-09-17, 11:21
A possible reason for anxiety at higher doses is because mirtazapine increases production of noradrenaline, which is an activating neurotransmitter. This can be good for lifting mood in people who are depressed, but for others it may be too much.

Yes that explains it thank.

So it looks like l have found my dose at 30mg as my mood was ok and anxiety there but manageable.