PDA

View Full Version : Weird anxiety about catching diseases

Konstant
11-03-15, 01:46
Hi everyone. I have these weird issue where I think I can catch a disease, something like cardiovascular disease, or a heart issue.

My friend of mine has a family history in which they have heart issues and upper body issues. Sometimes we will share food/drink or even a smoke. We have been friends for a while.

For some reason, even though somewhere in my brain I know better, I believe and get anxious about obtaining a disease like this from someone.

Like getting heart disease, or a lung issue. I know to some this may sound insane, but theres this little itch that makes me believe such things.

Am I at any risk for something like this? Why the hell do I even imagine this type of stuff.

Fishmanpa
11-03-15, 02:17
I think you know you can't "catch" heart disease like you would catch a cold or flu. That being said you can prevent the development of this by doing the proper common sense things like eating right, exercising and not smoking. Had I done those things when I was young, I probably could have prevented them from happening to me. The great news is you can always start now.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
12-03-15, 09:46
This sounds more like one of the Contamination OCD forms. I suggest you read the information on this webpage about it and see if it matches to your issues.

http://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

It would be worth visiting the OCD board as well as there will be loads on there you can look through. The HA cycle differs to a typical OCD cycle for many of us so certain elements eg reassurance, Googling, etc may not be relevant to you so it can change your recovery plan.