PDA

View Full Version : Considering private counselling for my panic attacks

GingerFish
11-03-15, 09:52
My panic attacks seem to be getting worse again. I used to just have generic, every day panic attacks but now I seem to get what I call 'terror attacks' which are the ones where I actually fully believe I am dying and scream it or tell someone to call me a doctor. I used to just get attacks like this in the house but yesterday, I had one outside in public. I was mortified. I am worried I am going to become housebound and agoraphobic again like I did when I first got panic attacks 2/3 yrs ago.

I am currently learning to drive and do my driving lessons every week and I do get mini panic attacks while driving but I can hide and control them but now that I have had a 'terror attack' outside, its knocked my confidence with my driving lessons.

I am considering stopping my lessons for a while and using the money I would spend there on private counselling instead. The NHS waiting lists are too long and I don't fancy trying out medication. I wouldn't mind CBT. I am confused, scared and depressed over what to do. It feels like with anxiety recovery, if you take one step forward, you take 10 back.

I've only had about 4 of these bad panic attacks since new years eve but they take me a while to get over. I'm the sort of person that dwells on how bad they felt and nit pick to see if I can find a reason to why that attack happened even though I know a lot of the time its just out the blue. I'm also quite stressed at the mo. In the last 2 weeks my dog died, my car broke down and my stepdad took a mini stroke so I feel like my head is close to bursting from stress.

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-15, 07:20
Sorry to hear about your dog dieing and your stepdad.

Be careful in looking for counselling or therapy because it is still an unregulated sector until the Bill of Parliament is passed to stop the charlatans practicing.

The advice my therapist gave was to use the BACP register as they have a minimum standard that involved practice hours an ongoing supervision monitoring. Honestly, there are many organisations out there and some are literally tied to training organisations so you pass a 100 hour online only diploma and get their letters after your name then pay for insurance, register your company name and off you go working with clients without ever actually seeing one in training!

The NHS Direct website and MIND's are worth reading about forms of therapy and how to find a counsellor or therapist and recommend such as BABCP.

CBT is one form, but going private opens up the other forms of psychotherapy so have a read on those websites because there may be others that could be of use to you. Those of us going through the NHS have to have CBT because there is nothing else available until you reach Level 4 services and you have to be pretty serious to get to them before CBT and in any quick time.

up a ladder
17-03-15, 22:42
I'm with Terry on this. I had private couseling for years and probably cost me the best part of £10k. At one point I was seeing her twice a week at £35 an hour. She was a lovely lady but steered me down a completely useless route that had me blaming everyone else for my problem.
I can honestly say that 10 sessions with the NHS team in Oxford was far, far more effective.
Just be careful as you can also (as I did) get into a cycle of relying on something that had no positive effect.
Obviously some therapists out there are excellent, but definitely not all.

Sorry it may not be the answer you were hoping for.

GingerFish
20-03-15, 10:18
I've had a few sessions with my counsellor and I must say, she has really helped. She was a GP before she went into counselling so she knows her stuff. She also had a background in social work back in the day. I feel a lot less stressed and anxious overall. Haven't had a panic attack in about 5 days either which is refreshing. Long may it continue.

Also she is BACP registered. I found her through my NHS self help worker as she recommended her and I asked for her credentials.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-15, 10:41
That sounds good, an ex GP would be an ethical person for a start! Its great that you checked her out too because not everybody understands how to do this, hence why there are so many unqualified ones out there getting away with it.

I'm glad it has worked out for you.