PDA

View Full Version : extreme fear, escape, on my own? What is this?

mindfulnessbl
11-03-15, 13:49
Hi, When I am at home on my own a night, I experience extreme fear, and I want to escape, I am not in any danger at all, But I feel the worst fears which make me feel literally like I am about to die, and I must do everything to escape.

Sometime I experience at night when I am out, ie places will look dark and they seem darker to me and very scary, and I feel again like I am about to die from this..

Can someone tell me what this could be?

I also experience the world seems vague, dream like, some times, and my own personally memories from the past seem detached, and a lot of days I am unable to establish who I am? But this returns to normal when I feel secure in my self I can then feel more connected to my past etc, and the world does not seems scary..

when I lost my sense of grounding in my self, thats when I cant find my sense of self, Is this anxiety?

Do I suffer an anxiety disorder?

gregcool
11-03-15, 16:54
Hi mind..what you are describing sounds like classic anxiety to me.i allso have experianced this to...how long have you felt this way..i think a trip to your gp is in order to get some suport and advice...you are not alone.

MyNameIsTerry
12-03-15, 09:05
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

I think you should have a read of the threads on the Depersonalisation/Derealisation subboard on the Symptoms board as it sounds like you could be experiencing those. I don't know much about them as I've been lucky enough not to have been through them but there are people who do understand them on here who can help you.

The issue of dark places seeming darker and scarier is because the fight of flight response is kicked in more in the case of someone with an anxiety disorder so you can be looking for possible triggers. I feel this myself at times but I do a lot of walking at night, often in less populated or industrial areas, so I've learned its safe as long as I am aware of my surroundings.